Tomorrow is Schrick day!!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the problem Guy's,when the manifold is all bolted up outside of the engin bay the butterfly is ok and turnes freely.The problem comes when you bolt it together in the engin bay,there seems to be a slightly untrue surface which when tightened up,slightly warpes the chamber holding the butterfly flap causing it to bind,Mine wouldn't turne atall when bolted to the engin but was fine outside.

So you won't be able to test it!as the only thing that highlights this problem is fitting it to the car! Not good realy!!

Mike. :(:(

[ Edited Thu May 20 2004, 10:28AM ]

really gutted for you mike! bit worried about mine now, as i've had it polished(as you know now) and wont be able to send it back to schrick should it be faulty surely! :-( hope all goes well for you mate and you get the motor back soon!

Mike Tonge: give us more details' date=' how do we check to make sure the "butterfly" is ok etc... ? im sure that we would all like to check to make sure that no one else is affected[/quote']

Unpack it and seperate the two halves. You'll see the flap in the upper portion of the casting. At the back you'll see a pushrod and cam that connects the flap to the vacuum actuator. Push the push rod and you'll see the flap move. It will be stiff as you're pressing against the actuator's spring but the flap should not bind at all. Mine was catching slightly at the 8 O'clock position. The suction from the servo hose may not be sufficient to overcome the binding resistance with the result being a flat engine past 4000rpm.

grrrr, im not sure if mine has a problem, it doesnt really pull that well after 4,000 revs, and the actual push rod doesnt appear to move very well, it pulls the butterfly down! and the rod doesnt move anymore, could this possibly be faulty?

[quote=kevhaywire: Unpack it and seperate the two halves. You'll see the flap in the upper portion of the casting. At the back you'll see a pushrod and cam that connects the flap to the vacuum actuator. Push the push rod and you'll see the flap move. It will be stiff as you're pressing against the actuator's spring but the flap should not bind at all. Mine was catching slightly at the 8 O'clock position. The suction from the servo hose may not be sufficient to overcome the binding resistance with the result being a flat engine past 4000rpm.

Bugger this sounds exactly like mine! Goes like a rocket up till about 4,000rpm then feels like its loosing power/running out of steam? Doesn't always do it either, only in the higher gears, mainly, and when the car gets hotter even more so. I put it down to it needing to be chipped, but now sounds like its sticking. :(

mines damages on the one face. On the main set of 6 inlet ports, ill have to dress it out. I work as an aerospace technition, Non destructive testing areo parts. Now if I inspected my manifold at the same standard i inspect areo parts..... it would fail. :(

This would be a good test Kev' date='but if you have the same problem as i have then you won't know the flap binds until you bolt it all in!!

Mike.[/quote']

Mine binded without being bolted up to the engine B)

It probably wasn't moving at all at 4K then in that case!

He would have called me if mine was in need of replacement, so I reckon he's sorted it.

Sixappeal, possibly the case mate. The engine does flatten off slightly at 4K and then it should hitch it's skirt and start running again. If goes flat and stays flat, almost like someone has turned the taps down, could be your valve binding x)

Typical. Guaranteed mine is Faulty.

Last for Samcos.. Faulty VSR.. bent front Coilies and wheels..

*tears hair out*

Can we find a fail-safe way of testing the flap from Vince before we fit it? Please!