when did vw 12 year anti-corrosion garantee stsrt

I think it started in the early 90's as my dad's Passat came with it. I believe this was only available to the orginal owner of the car. If it has changed hands then i am not sure if this kind of warranty is still valid. Best bet would be to go to your local VW garage and ask them or try calling VW customer services. I don't have the number but it should be on;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk

Let us know how you get on, I for one would be very interested to hear what VW have to say on this kind of thing! :)

I had a few rust bubbles on my car and they sent a guy out to take a look.

He had a probe with him that measured the thickness of the paint to determine wether or not the paint was "Factory"

It was reassuring to know that 3/4 of my car was "Factory" with only the tialgate having been resprayed.

What was not so reassuring however was that the VW "Factory" paint was MUCH thinner than the resprayed tailgate !

Anyway my car is a 98 Highline and they made excuses that the rust had come from a stone chip or something from the outside and as such was NOT covered by warranty.

The only way it seems they will cover you is if the rust has started from the Inside of the car rather than regualar wear and tear.

It all sounds good when they tell you that you have a million year anticorrosion warranty, but how likely are the ever to pay up on it? Not many cars rust from the inside out ........

I have a small amount under the sill trim on the drivers door. When i called their Customer Services I was told to book it in to a dealership but I would be charged for an inspection and only refunded if it was covered by the warranty. Feckers! Perfect get out clause.