WHAT MOD AFTER SCHRICK VSR MANIFOLD(CHIP,CAM,PISTON)?

Whatever it is, it's going to be expensive. A set up on a RR would help, but as we all know you don't have access to one. Cams are an option - more bhp but I think less torque, but I don't think it would be a good idea without a RR. After that you can pretty much expect to have to spend a lot - a turbo or supercharger is probably your next option.

This is a topic of great debate - if you have a look through the technical forum you should see several discussions on the matter.

[ Edited Thu May 06 2004, 08:35AM ]

Schrick 264 Cams work well with the VGI Manifold. They boost top end power without sacrificing the low-end torque that the manifold gives you. These are £550+VAT+Fitting.

If your car is an OBD1 (pre-1996) model, it will benefit from a gas flowed throttle body also.

A cold air intake filter (such as the BMC CDA or PiperX Viper), plus a decent exhaust should be worth another 7-10bhp with all the above fitted.

Get a full ECU remap done after fitting of all the above and you should have in the region of 225bhp (depending on the condition of your engine) with decent torque figures. Audi S3 territory.

To go much above this, you'll need to go supercharger or turbo. The problem with this is that you have to pay all the money (£2,500 plus) in one hit rather than spreading it out like you can with conventional tuning.

A 6 speed gearbox (preferably with limited-slip diff) is a good idea whatever state of tune your car is in, as it allows you to make better use of the torque you have. These are expensive, but pretty much a necessity if you wanna go drag racing.

Source of info:

http://www.club-vr6.co.uk/bible.htm

Hope this helps!

[ Edited Thu May 06 2004, 09:44AM ]

and you should have in the region of 225bhp (depending on the condition of your engine) with decent torque figures.

Dunno about that. Sounds optimistic to me, perhaps on AmD's rollers, but not known accurate ones such as Stealth's.

A 2.9 engine with the same kit makes around 210 - 215, so 225 from the 2.8 id hard to achieve.

I just can't quite see an ancient 12V making almost as much as an R32 somehow.

K

For torque, use Shcrick 256 cams. I think the standard VW duration is about 240. Schrick 248s are also meant to be good for torque. Personally I'd go with the 268s if you've got the manifold. The gob of torque at 3500 with standard cams then leads onto a flat 4K to redline feel. The 268s continue where the change-over flap leaves off, pulling hard to the redline.

[ Edited Fri May 07 2004, 03:19PM ]