Coding transponder keys..

Hey there guys...

I've bought two keys and had them cut, but VW want £40 per key to code them!!!!

Can these keys be coded by any locksmiths/ car key cutting place... I spoke to the guys at the parts desk in my local VW dealer and they said because it has a "rolling" code they need to be coded by VW and ONLY VW!

Is this true?? Surely, there must be another way. I'm not prepare dto send the keys to some guy via the post (call me synical but sending my only key to a guy to code and he'll have my address seems a little risky!!!!) !dodge

I've also had anothe guy tell me that he took the chip out of the key and superglued it to the reader ring - NOT TRYING THAT!!!!!!

Any help guys...

Did he cut and code the key???

Did it work???

The guy who cut my keys tried to read my key and I think he read the key, but I explained about the "rolling" code and he said he was unsure because of the "rolling" code. Also, he said he's never coded one of these keys and hes only done thier own transponder chips...

Has anyone had a key cut and coded by a non-VW method???

maindealers talking crap mate,i got a second spare key with chip a little while ago at a local key cutter,take your key and he will do a copy first then he plugs your original key in the coding machine,takes your key out and puts the new cut key in pushes a button (very technical stuff) and hey presto coded key! the only down side is it wont be a origanal vw key its normaly a plain black key with a little red plug in the side that holds the chip.cost about £15.00.

maindealers talking crap mate' date='i got a second spare key with chip a little while ago at a local key cutter,take your key and he will do a copy first then he plugs your original key in the coding machine,takes your key out and puts the new cut key in pushes a button (very technical stuff) and hey presto coded key! the only down side is it wont be a origanal vw key its normaly a plain black key with a little red plug in the side that holds the chip.cost about £15.00.

[/quote']

I've got the proper keys from VW and they're cut... It's just if they can be coded by a non-VW methods... I don't want them to try and mess up the chip!

Maybe the humble locksmith guy can't code a VW transponder??

Has anyone had any experience of cutting and coding keys without going to VW??

? dunno? i got both sets of keys with it both alarm fobs logic 950 and the little service key for the alarm siren, the keys are just the balck type with the vw sign on them you can press to iluminate a little bulb, no little red section and apart from the lamp gubbins nothing inside the keys!! maybe its part of my alarm set up?

original vw keys dont have the red plug in them,only the after keys mate because the origanel are hollow black plastic these can be prised apart,if you did this you would prob see the chip?it looks like a grain of rice only black and with a couple of very small printed numbers on them,the after market keys are moulded solid plastit(coz there cheap)with a cut out in,this is were the chip is inserted into a little red holder and pushed in.