Hi, Has any one had problems changing their spark plugs?

Had my VR serviced yesterday (not VW) they informed me that they could not change 1 plug due to the thread comming out.

Checked it out today and there is an insert which comes out with the plug which I can't remove.

Is this a standard steel instert or has someone cross threaded the plug in the past and had this fitted? :(

Guest couzens

Its quite possible that may be the case mate. The plugs are quite hard to line up so cross-threading is possible if your not careful. It doesn't help with the fact that the plugs are so deep into the head. Ideally the plug will need changing. If there has been damage to the head where the plug screws into, I would leave the insert and then just put in a new plug if/once you can get the old one out. Mind you the new plug may not screw in due to the insert so it may be worth taking both out and taking it from there.

Sorry can't be more positive. Sounds like a case of trial and error taking it easy not to rush things.

Good luck :)

[ Edited Mon May 03 2004, 10:04AM ]

The insert that you describe sounds like the problem has happened before and that the previous owner has had the head "Helicoiled" :? or as you rightly describe an insert fitted, the bad news is that once done it can't be redone, therefore, I fear that you need a new head... Don't quote me on this though, but that's all I know... Sawwwwwyyyy &| x)

u could try tread locking it back in ,let it set and remove hoping plug only comes out this time! (threadlock is red stuff that u put on threads so that they dont come undon) i bit hit and miss ,make sure threads are clean i would try abit of brake cleaner