Prevention better than the cure!

As a new VR6 owner, I'm going to get my motor looked over to identify any work that may need doing to prevent any major problems, not that I'm paranoid or anything! Have read quite a lot about getting upper and lower chains and tensioners done. Also regarding head gasket needing doing at same time, as a matter of course to save on labour costs in future. Can anyone tell me tell-tale signs that these jobs may need doing? Car does seem to give off quite a lot of smoke from cold for about 15-20 minutes, and temperature gauge seems to go up quickly if stuck in traffic, but drops again quickly if heater is put on. Don't know if this is connected to faulty head gasket, as I'm a bit of a Frank Spencer! What sort of money can I expect to pay for gasket and chains doing? Car is a '94 M-reg, 94k with FSH.

Cheers,Aboo! !alien

My Head gasket has just died - I did notice that it started to use a little water. I used to get a lot of white smoke/steam from my exhaust but not sure if that was related! As for chains/tensioners there is a sound clip on a thread that gives you an idea what worn tensioners sound like!

Best bet would be to take it to a good garage that knows what they are talking about (stealth/the phirm etc...) and get them to take a look!

the smoking from cold is generally valve stem seals the status of your head gasket is easily checked with head gasket tester i generally charge between £800-£1000 to replace head gasket of which i strip head replace stem seals clean valves back up like new and reseat them all tensioners and chains new clutch new crank shaft seal.ive just rebuilt eat this car and he will vouch for me also ingham has seen my work and would vouch for me aswell im based in stoke on trent and you can reach me on 07957 204 365 .carl(stoke vw spares).