hi guys,

recently i have noticed my car revving up quicker above the norm. as i plant my foot right down the revs seem to shoot up about 800 - 1000 when im driving at low revs but performance doesnt seem to respond straight away, almost as if there is a lag. does this seem like symtoms of a wearing out clutch?

if so what clutch wwould be reccomended as my car engine is standard and wont be charged until at least a year.

thanx in advance

piv :)

Sounds like it could be. To double check if it is slipping, drive along at about 30 in 5th, drop the clutch, rev the engine to say 5,000 and then let the clutch back in sharpish. The revs should drop straight away. If it doesn't it's slipping.

The standard VR clutch is pretty meaty, so unless you anticipate doing a lot of engine mods, go for a stock one. Just make sure it's a proper OEM part, not a cheap copy.

I am Mr Clutch. I've had 3 warranty replacements on mine which caused Vince at Stealth problems with his suppliers.

Reason being each of those 3 kits juddered after a month's use and they were SACHS and LUK kits from GSF. They couldn't see what the problem was, but there was one.....

The OE VW kit is a LUK. The kits they and SACHS supply to the likes of GSF just isn't up to the same standard as OE spec. If you put a GSF LUK next to a VW LUK, the differences are obvious. On the VW kit, the pressure plate springs are ground down to form a 100% flat and true mating surface for the release bearing. The GSF kit isn't and can cause juddering.

My 4th replacement was a VW kit and hasn't juddered once in 20,000 miles use so far.

I'd also recommend a new flywheel from VW.