clutch pedal clicking (switch noise)

when i press and depress the clutch it makes a clicking noise, like a microswitch is being pressed in and out (if you know what i mean ?) any ideas, it's quite annoying, it only started recently. The clutch operates fine, it's just the clicking noise when i change gear it's driving me mad, it sounds like when you click on a mouse but louder.

cheers jez

• 7 months later...

Is it easy to replace the slave cylinder ?

My clutch is making a ratchet type noise, and I can feel it through the pedal too.

Sounds to me from listening with the bonnet up, that it's the slave cylinder.

Going to get one from gsf and fit it. Bentley manual doesn't seem to mention it though....

ive got it 2,clickin on the way up & clickin on the way down,sounds so pikey wen ur in slow movin traffic,got squicky brakes 2 so i look double pikey :$ aint affected the way the car drives though!

Do you MkIII VR6 drivers have a microswitch on the clutch pedal? I know we do over here on the MKIVs it's part of the engine start interlock to stop the dumb yanks from starting the car in gear.

If you do have these too then they are prone to fail. Cheap assed plastic housing and levers crack leading to the clicking noise you mention when depressing the clutch.

On the good side they only cost a few bucks to replace.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to replacing the slave cylinder.

Piece of pi$$.

Ticking noise has gone. Lovely job.

Just got to stop it from deciding to stall every now and then for no reason, and all is good.

Wouldn't be any fun without some kind of little issue to fix would it ;)