I want 200BHP+ out of my standard vr what do i need to do?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aftermarket exhausts improve the looks and sound but don't do a great deal for BHP. The standard exhaust, despite being ugly, is actually quite efficient!

A cold air induction kit, AMD rebored throttle body and an ECU remap should see at least 190BHP. Add some 268 cams to the mix and you should definitely be on the right side of 200BHP.

Thats not true.

There has always been an argument over BMC and RAMAIR

Those with BMC swear by them' date=' those with RAMAIR swear by them.

At the end of the day its personal preferance, but the RAMAIR sounds better!!!

[/quote']

i ve had a ram air, its a joke!! sounds good but so do most induction kits on the vr!!

have you heard how good snedboy's mk2 vr sounds, thats just with a

Thats not true.

There has always been an argument over BMC and RAMAIR

Those with BMC swear by them' date=' those with RAMAIR swear by them.

At the end of the day its personal preferance, but the RAMAIR sounds better!!!

[/quote']

i ve had a ram air, its a joke!! sounds good but so do most induction kits on the vr!!

have you heard how good snedboy's mk2 vr sounds, thats just with a

sorry to hijack but do you loose torque with 268 cams

and would a corrado inlet manifold give you anything?

I've run my Corrado with 268s (with and without Shcrick intake) and there was no percetible loss of bottom torque. The two together are awesome, made 5th feel like 4th from 70mph. Good for around 225hp on a healthy engine, with a flowed throttle (the most restrictive part of the inlet system other than the head itself).

sorry to hijack but do you loose torque with 268 cams

and would a corrado inlet manifold give you anything?

I'd also be interested what difference in power a Corrado 2.9 inlet manifold would make... anyone? I believe there are two parts (not just the inlet manifold that need replacing - I can't remember what the second part is but Storm mentioned it the other day).

And what difference would fitting a corrado throttle body make on a golf vr6?

In answer to the thread - I have a 97 golf vr6, a Milltek cat back exhaust and milltek high flow cat. Puts out close to 195bhp and 183ft/lbs torque - on rr at stealth.

I now have a 6 branch exhaust manifold - fitted last week actually and the extra surge in top end power (from 3k revs onwards) is huge. But bear in mind a 6 branch is fairly expensive... unless you're having any work done to your head which I have then it makes it worth doing at the same time.

I would say a good cold air induction kit and high flow cat (or even better a decat section) with free flowing system as you have now will see 200bhp on an ODB2. An earlier ODB1 golf (1995 and earlier) can see this kind of power if they have a remap as well. A remap would be more advisable (and not a lot more expensive than a basic chip) but it has the added advantages of fine tuning your car to suit additional modifications in the future. I'm thinking about getting the BMC in a couple of months (when the xmas spend is over!).

Matt - Corrado manifold or TB wont work on yours as they are OBD1 & yours is OBD2.

I've had both a Ramair type kit & BMC kit on my car & I prefer the traditional style induction kit with a cold air feed to it - power feels very slightly up around town with the BMC but theres hardly any induction noise with the BMC unless you run it without the cold air feed which defeats the object, personally, from running both types of filter - on a long open road theres no difference really - Im switching back to my Skyline HKS filter where my car still made over 200Bhp & sounded like an absolute monster 8)