Possible problem with timing chains ..what the average price I will have to pay?

I would be surprised if the phirm are either ripping you off or over revving the engine when cold... they know their stuff and are fast getting the same kind of reputation that stealth have but for a job as expensive as timing chains cant hurt to get a 2nd opinion

being a responsible moderator type I should also say...

Nerih, try and only post technical replies when you know the answer or indicate that you're not 100% sure

Steve, dont mock the afflicted

The two I have bought have come as one part, they are one part, the early type doesn't even have a spring, only the later type thats used with the polymer tensioner has a spring, and thats integral to the tensioner bolt. VW parts people in the main are clueless, hence the widespread illegal use of Etka.

Thanks for the link and for all the info guys. Interesting info. I assume if my hydraulic tensioner is replaced with a new one and the noise disappears this will mean my car is ok and the chains will not need to be replaced? I know the tappet noise won't disappear (unless I get new followers..or a cam kit :) ). To be honest I can hardly hear the noise that the mechanic mentioned. Today I had a good listen and I could only really hear something when I started the car...for a split second... very very faint and if I revved the engine a small amount and then let it idle ..as the revs drop back below 1000 rpm the noise would very briefly happen again and disappear... but it is not a "rattle" noise at all... more a raspy ticking noise and very faint.

What exactly do the timing chains do? And how do they work in conjunction with the hydraulic tensioner? I assume a faulty hydraulic tensioner can cause the chains to rattle? If their is timing chain rattle or if my hydraulic tensioner is faulty is my engine being damaged?

This what i regard as what the bolt does bvut don't quote me on this.

The bolt put's tension the rail guide to keep the the chain tight. So if the bolt fails or becomes week due to lack of oil changes the chain can become slack and depending on how slack it goes, it can cause the chain to slap the guide making the noise. Or even worse cause the chain to slip.

the taiming chains are what drive the camshaft off the crankshft and are geared to run the camshaft at half crankshaft speed.

the hydraulic tensioner applys tension to the chain to stop it slapping. if its allowed to slap about too much and/or for too long then it could break the chain and everything else that rotates.