ZR-1 supercharger - good or bad?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do not believe that on 6 psi you can get 300bhp...unless you have SERIOUS engine work.

mighty must run about 8PSI and makes 275

although apd's runs at 8.5PSI (which im not sure about tbh, its quite low, will have to confirm this), and makes 308BHP

if you include the lovely syncro's like justins, they make more power becuase they are 2.9, although i understand 2.9's are odb1???

justin maybe you can clarify if the syncro is odb2 or not.

yep' date=' so back on topic, the odb2's such as justins with the zr2 will make more power anyways as the rear banks slightly more fuel than the fronts to make up for the different inlet runner lengths.

[/quote']

:? :? ...do you have a "how too" book on vr6 engine's next to the computer or somthing :P:P;)

yep' date=' so back on topic, the odb2's such as justins with the zr2 will make more power anyways as the rear banks slightly more fuel than the fronts to make up for the different inlet runner lengths.

[/quote']

Nerih the topic is "ZR1 chargers - good or bad?" :? :@

[/quote']

:? :? ...do you have a "how too" book on vr6 engine's next to the computer or somthing :P:P;)

I'd like a copy of that book... wonder if it covers how to fit bonnet lifters?

lol, we met very briefly at santapod, that a'hole shop had sold me the mk2 bonnet struts, which is why i got confused!

We had this discussion, and i think after a little debate it was :-

if your looking for a s/h s/c then a z-eng kit and if a new one then a vortech.

I mean i didn't realise you could fit a dump valve instead of the diverter valve, shows how much i know...

If your worried about getting the zr1, which has been in a car that some club members have been in, then i would spend a little more and a get a vortech kit,

after searching 10 PSI is the maximum boost pressure that a zr1 can put out, most companies including vortech recommend you uprate your charger if you're going past 90% capacity. I'm sure that your friend is having an 8PSI pulley made which should make the zr1 more that equal to most vortech stage 2 kits, excellent really for a charger that looks like something froma a mower lol

mc racing now distribute z-eng kits, i dont know ifyouc an buy new from them www.supercharging.ch

i do not believe that on 6 psi you can get 300bhp...unless you have SERIOUS engine work.

although apd's runs at 8.5PSI (which im not sure about tbh' date=' its quite low, will have to confirm this), and makes 308BHP

if you include the lovely syncro's like justins, they make more power becuase they are 2.9, although i understand 2.9's are odb1???

[/quote']

My OBD1 hit 275hp with a ZR2 running 6.5psi and Cams.

although apd's runs at 8.5PSI (which im not sure about tbh' date=' its quite low, will have to confirm this), and makes 308BHP

[/quote']

as i remember it hit just over 280 on the 1st power run though !amazed 8)

did you have the schrick spring set?

I understand the increase in lift' date=' but what duration were they?

I remember vince saying mild cams suit chargers best, so these may be a decent idea.

[/quote']

No idea. Vince fitted them. They were already in the car when i bought it. I'd imagine that the springs would have been changed.

[/quote']

as i remember it hit just over 280 on the 1st power run though !amazed 8)

Yep she did indeed. Had to back her off though for safety reasons :D

Or unless you have Photoshop ;)

Didn't use photoshop either, the engine was rebuilt early this year. It has been bored out to 2896cc and made 284.4bhp. As with any VR at these levels need bigger injectors to avoid running lean.

The car then had bigger injectors & a remap and ending up at 307.1bhp. Vince was surprised as well as me with the results.

Since then the induction has been further modified so maybe more power now but who knows.

Nerih, you can get over 300bhp with a standard ZR2 with other mods.