ZR-1 supercharger - good or bad?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of power would the golf vr have once a ZR1 is bolted straight on (without any extra mods - although I assume a 'basic' remap would be required)' date=' compared to a ZR2? And how would a ZR2 compare to a Vortech1?

[/quote']

I'm talking about off-the-shelf kits that one can buy to increase power on a stock vehicle rather than one to complement other mods, although i realise in hindsight its a bit silly since most people will add several other modifications to produce better results such as decat, cams, manifolds and so on.

the simple fact is that vortech chargers have done more miles with more golfs and are continually being sold, the z-eng kits arent. price wise yes the z-kit is fantastic, if they still sold them it would be a close match between vortech and z-eng.

The americans are big on supercharging, i would seriously go over to the vortex forums, they do have alot more people running high power applications (over 350bhp!), its a good read and they have plenty of debates think about in regards to 'charging'.

please be weary of v1's' date=' go and listen to one before you buy, get a v2 or v9 with helical cut gears for quietness,

[/quote']

To be honest mate, I heard a V1 at the stealth rolling road day and it was no louder than my V9 F SQ. Slightly different pitch to the V9, but volume wise, about the same. His is well used though, so may have something to do with it.

Interesting debate. I have a fair bit of respect for Z engineering. They did this years and years ago and they designed the brackets for the Vortech kits.

Z or Vortech, either are great....they give the VR so much more extra character and oomph :D

just confirming spec for the benefit of nerih!

make of it what you will:OBD1 2.9[ENLARGE BY STEALTH].

Eurotech racing vortech v2sq charger with 8.5psi pulley.

schrick vsr and 248sc cams

20% uprated inj[green].

enlarged thr bodies,BVH.

Race spec fuel pump,milltek cat and supersprint system.

erl aquamist water inj.

stealth/gemini 6sp box

race logic tc.

pleased with the 303bhp/278torque-plenty fast enough for me[rr at stealth dec 04].

is this debate becomming a handbag issue?you earn your money........etc....etc....

the c2 kits do impress with their healthy power figures.

hi lads,sorry not been on line for a bit been working away.

looking at the debate u have all been having fun.

i run a standard engine obd2, zr1 s/c ,standard exhaust,

i must say been reliable for 3yrs still on same belts,run s/c on mobile 1, oil change every 6000 miles, my car goes very

well. i,m wondering about the amount of money u can spend for the extra bhp and is it worth it every 1 to there own but

i,m going to r/r day so i can see what a straight bolt on zr1 produces. very interesting debate .. ;)

i dont know how long my s/c will last but if it broke i would

not spend the money getting it fixed,like yourself i have

been looking at other cars, my car as sat on my drive for 2weeks i dont use it much with work.so i think i will hold on to her and maybe get my arches done to stop the scraping

and if and when s/c takes a dive i,ll fit a vortech stage 3

or turbo my engine is well cool touch wood the only reason

what is stopping me getting another car,is i cannot justify it

not beeing used.it was nice to drive after not using her for 2

weeks.. ;)