I have a debate going on with a mate. He says that he thinks that it would be easy to change a syncro to left hand drive. Just change the dash and steering column. I think that it would be a whole lot more difficult than that. change the dash and steering column indeed. Please help.

i thought they were all lhd already....do you mean rhd?

i know a friend who did a rhd conversion on a rallye, it involved new dash, new brake system new steering rack/pinion and new columns, different pedal box (dunno if its required but he did it)...so those things are required but im not sure how much extra 'stuff' was needed, seems like an interesting project for and rare lhd only car.

You would need to cut out the bulkead central section and weld a RHD one in its place, then swap the steering rack, pedal box, brake servo/master cylinder, ABS Pump, all brake lines, most of the wiring behind the dash, plus the dash itself.

If you had access to a complete VR6 donor car it's definitely do-able, but a LOT of work and I've never heard of anyone doing it before.

It might actually be easier to do it the other way round and transfer the Syncro 4WD system & 2.9 engine into a RHD VR. I know this has been done (There's a couple of 4wd Ventos & cabrios out there)

you wont have to cut holes just punch out the blanks, all the bolt on points for the streering coloum and pedal box are there....i have a rallye which is now RHD with carrado dash.....helped a mate convert his 3dr jetta to rignt hand drive. just make sure you got all the parts tho...steering rack, coloum, dash you can leave the fuse box where it is but to get a neat job id change the lot, get a sparky to do the wires so you dnt get hassle.

• 1 year later...

Were there any Syncros sold in other RHD countries, such as Cyprus, Japan etc? I would love tto get hold of a RHD version. Also, as someone said up-post, wouldn't it be easier to donate the Syncro drivetrain into a ordinary RHD VR6?