Climate control/ air con

Hi guys...

I've been thinking about fitting climate control/ Aircon to my VR.

Is it possible, or am I mental to think about doing this?

What would be involved???

I know there would be some serious work involved, but I figure its worth it. My mates say I'm mad, but I'll have a lot of time on my hands. They say it can't be done - I love to proove people wrong!!! ;):P

I know to buy the parts new would cost a fortune, and it would be easier to sell mine and buy a VR with it fitted, but I can't part with my VR - I'm sure you all know what I mean... ;)

So - Easy/ hard??? Possible/not????

Any advice and comments would be appreciated.

Climatronic would be a nightmare too many parts involved and i believe they are rare in the first place in the UK. Air-con itself shouldn't be a problem, just try and find a complete donor car and just transplant the bits you need from that. Only thing you wouldn't be able to do yourself is 'gas' the system as its quite toxic stuff so best left to the experts/professionals!

i was kinda toying with the idea myself......

vw quoted me 2 grand!!!! :o

i have leather,air-con would be nice but not at that price,

think i`ll just have to sweat until i find a cheaper alternative.

selling my vr and gettin 1 with air-con and leather for me would be like lookin for a needle in a haystack and just as much hassle as a retro-fit as there are not many vr`s in scotland.

Buy a Higline they have it as standard and some even have climate.

I looked at two but they were bith ropey so didnt buy them.

I even looked at turning mine to climate and I am up for a challenge and then decided it was a fruitless task,for just a few buttons when you could frig about with a temp sender or two and a few relays which is still a pain in the harris. I left well alone, to walk away is a good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Why do the later highlines not have Climatronic?

I have a friend with an "N" plate with it and yet my "R" plate does not.........

Were there problems with it?

No it was an option regardless if the car was a Highline or not. THe Highline just had aircon as standard! ;)