I have a 195bhp golf vr6... what would my approx 0-60mph be?

Hi

I recently had a new exhaust and high flow cat added to my 1997 golf vr6 and it put out around 195bhp after a rolling road test. Considering the car weighs 1180kgs (kerb weight)... what kind of 0-60mph time could I expect based on my power output? I know the earlier odb1 golf put out 174bhp and had a factory quoted 0-60 figure of 7.1 seconds (I think this is correct but I may be wrong). I know the later odb2 golf put out around 185bhp but there were no official performance figures for it... however I was wondering what 195 - 200bhp could achieve performance wise? I'm assuming perhaps 6.9 or maybe even less?

Does anyone else have a similar power (more or less) and have timed themselves 0-60? I haven't had the opportunity to test my own car due to too much traffic lately and finding a good stretch of flat road. My car certainly explodes of the line though.

Cheers

Matt

Eat this: The drag strip 1/4 mile time comes out at 14.74 though with your car.

(Allows for grippier surface).

Pretty close to what you actually did, no? Although it gives 5.2 0-60 and 13.2 1/4 times for my (old) Golf. I didn't get near those. Could've been the driver! ;)

7.6 secs for a standard VR? I thought the factory figure was 7.1? I assume either way it will be for the ODB1 with 174bhp as VW never re-tested the ODB2 later version which had on average 10-12bhp more than an ODB1. The latest Mini Cooper S has 170bhp according to Top Gear magazine (not sure how accurate their data is) and a 0-60 of 7.2 secs (possibly a touch optimistic. I also assume the Mini weights approximately the same if not more than the Golf vr6. My car has almost 30bhp more than the cooper s ...I assume therefore I must be looking at a "theoretical" figure of less than 7 secs. Also a civic type r which does weight exactly the same as the golf at 1180kgs has 197bhp (less torque though) and has a 0-60 of 6.4 (which is quoted by Top Gear mag...which I think is a touch optimistic because everywhere else I have read 6.7 for a Civic Type R)... anyway I would have assumed a VR with roughly the same power output as the type r should therefore have a similar performance?

If only I had a device that could simply plug into my cigarette lighter or something and actually time my 0-60 I could solve this question... are there any cheapish but reliable devices that can do this?

trying to work it out by comparing to other cars is a waste of time and the figures on that site seem a tad optimistic (it gave me a 4.85secs 0-60!!)

I dont understand the obsession, I love driving my VR so couldnt really car less about the figures, but if it's so important then get it on the quarter mile and find out ;)

Agree with binliner, tad optimistic!

Power at Flywheel (BHP) : 221

Weight without Driver (KG) : 1180

Power to Weight Ratio (BHP Per Ton) : 190.29

0 - 60 (Secs) : 5.89

0 - 100 (Secs) : 14.52

60 - 100 (Secs) : 8.63

Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.27

Terminal Speed (MPH) : 99.13

Drag Strip Quarter Mile (Secs) : 14.07

Drag Strip Terminal Speed (MPH) : 100.90

Nerih; 14.1 quarter mile with 102mph terminal (on the run against your good self)

0-60 in 5.7, 0-100 in 13.5.

As already mentioned the LetsTorqueBHP calculator is flattering (although I've found if you add the weight of a driver - and let's face it most acceleration tests involve one - it's pretty close).

Matth76; Race Technology Performance meter. Not what you'd call cheap at

Great..thanks for all your replies. Where's a good place to get a Race Technology Performance meter? And do you know if it would fit other cars (I assume it simply fits into your cigarette lighter and program in the basic stats of your car such as kerb weight or is it far more complicated than that?)

Are there any other similar devices that anyone has used and can vouch for?

matth76; Try this link http://www.race-technology.com/Site1_UK/acatalog/Performance_Meters.html

The AP22 performance meter just sticks to your dash with bluetac, runs of a battery and is quite easy to use.

You don't need to enter any data to get acceleration figures but if you want to calculate wheel power there's a bit more to it. It's all explained in the instruction manual though and if I can figure it out, anyone can!

I've read a comparison review in one of the Max Tits type mags (accidentally caught my eye once ;) ) and it proved to be the most accurate for the money. As I said, within 2 tenths of a second over the quarter mile is pretty close.

There are 2 on the 'bay at the moment;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Technology-Performance-Meter_W0QQitemZ8009372658QQcategoryZ15329QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Race-Technology-AP-22-Performance-Meter_W0QQitemZ8008871676QQcategoryZ43120QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem