Thinking of getting a corrado vr6 within next few years. Can you help?

Hi everyone, I have not got a vr6 at the minute i have a ford fiesta zetec-s . I am a big fan of the corrado vr6's i think they look mean and i am seriously considering buying one within the next few years.

I just have a few questions really:

What are they like on fuel? good/bad mpg.

Handling? good/bad

Parts? cheap/expensive

Reliability? good/bad

If you could help that would be cool, also feel free about giving me any other information and opinions etc. Cheers.

Fuel- compared to a Fiesta, pretty awful, but compared to any other big V6, not bad!

Handling- the Corrado was raved about when it was new as one of the best FWD handling cars ever.

Parts- Mechanical parts aren't too bad, but trim and body panels etc tend to be rather expensive or simply unavailable for the Corrado.

Reliability- Never owned a Corrado, but I've found Golf's to be pretty reliable.

I've got one mate, I get 30ish mpg, anything up to 34 on a long run, which I think is awesome for a 10 year old 2.9 V6 with 107k on the clock. Handling is outstanding in my opinion, grip is very good and the speed you can carry through corners is breathtaking, there are no nasty surprises handling wise, they are very progressive and you have to be doing something really silly to get into trouble. As Mr ben says body bits are astronomical which is part of the reason insurance isn't cheap. Reliability is very good as long as its been looked after and you're prepared to keep your eye on things, I've done 20k miles in mine and its not been a problem yet, I've done quite a bit to it, but thats been out of choice never necessity. I too think they are awesome cars, you get complete strangers coming to talk to you about it (even my stock one)! Its a stuning design and backed up all the way by its performance. They do rattle a bit in my experience, the interior build quality is a little questionable but you forgive it things like that very quickly..

Hi everyone' date=' I have not got a vr6 at the minute i have a ford fiesta zetec-s . I am a big fan of the corrado vr6's i think they look mean and i am seriously considering buying one within the next few years.

I just have a few questions really:

What are they like on fuel? good/bad mpg.

Handling? good/bad

Parts? cheap/expensive

Reliability? good/bad

If you could help that would be cool, also feel free about giving me any other information and opinions etc. Cheers.

[/quote']

" next few years" wow that is seriouse !dodge mpg? it a 2.9 v6 !dodge parts? it a vw !dodge reliability? it bulletproof, but if it does go wrong then see point 2 !dodge !amazed

Thanks for your help MrBen and andy, i think you may have made up my mind. As for mpg being low 30's thats all my fez does anyway as its the sport model so is quite thirsty, i average 25-30mpg 32 if i drive like an old man so not brill! I know that in the next few years is a while but im only 19 at the min and at uni so ent got the money however in about a year or 2 i will have my degree and will be earning nicely in a full time job doing programming or game/web design etc so i will def be able to afford a corrado. I think they are one of the best looking cars there are (within realistic price ranges so in other words excluding supercars but even then they are close :D lol) And i am glad to hear about the handling, my fez is front wheel drive obviously and it handles very well but it does understeer when pushing it and wheel spins a lot etc. Thanks again guys. Hopefully i will be asking you more questions in the near future about MY corrado :D Cheers.

I would agree with the points already made by andy. The corrado is a very fine handling car. The 190bhp from it's 2.9 litre engine gives good acceleration and overall performance. It's definately worth popping over the the-corrado.net forum to get some info on the car and ownership.

It's also worth searching for old car mag group test reviews on the corrado, it came out on top against some very stiff competition from the likes of the SX200, celica, and BMW325i.

At the end of the day you have to drive one to make your mind up but I think you would probably be impressed.

a friend of mine has just bought a G reg 16valve rado, its the 1.8 engine so needless to say it aint rapid but its still alot of fun to blast around in!

for country lanes its almost unbeatable, handling really impressed me. never driven a vr6 but would jump at the chance!

i wonder if the 4 cylinder 1s would handle slightly better being lighter but again who cares its barrels of fun!!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have an auto VR6 and it's abit slower of the lights but the induction noise makes up for that.

I get about 25 MPG on mine, and since owning it (touch wood) ain't had a problem (just hit 100K). The internal plastics are a bit weak (heater dials/door pin/ash tray) and can break if yanked to hard.

Bolster wear on the seats is something to lookout for as the car is low anyone over 8st struggles to get out and the handle to flip the front seat forward can snap as people lean on it!

I just keep an eye on the oil and water (like all cars) - and the dash warns me of any problems so the electrics seem to be in order. Watch out for the ABS light as can be twitchy.. mine used to come on only half way through a journey, not good when the seller takes you for a test drive round the block!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one for 5 years and still enjoy every spin. I had an early one once and sold it. I then got another car entirley and could not wait to get back to a Corrado. Then I did it and have been smiling ever since. It gives you confidence to overtake when you would not even try in most other cars. 30 to 70 in around 4sec. is still awesome. Mine has done over 109k and is still brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...