I'm with Elephant.co.uk - do they allow you to add engine modifications?

Hi

I'm with Elephant insurance and when I took out their insurance I asked them would there be any problem in the future if I modified my car in any way such as adding an exhaust and sports air filter. They said no. However now I've had the car I was thinking about more extensive mods such as ecu remap or chip and possibly in the future a second hand supercharger (which I wasn't sure if Elephant would have a problem with - normally when I ring up they are in India some where and take ages to get hold of). Has anyone had any problems or good things with Elephant, where they allowed you to have all your mods without raising your premium through the roof? I know some ins. companies don't even understand modifications and that is why I went with Elephant as I've heard they do allow mods etc...however have there been any problems with them that I should know about?

I was with Adrian Flux before them with my old (H-reg) Fiesta XR2i, which only had an induction kit on it...it was 3rd party insurance and was

I've been with elephant for over 5 years as they always manage beat everyone elses quotes.

Only thing is, once you do any mods like Suspension, ECU Remap or Bodykits they dont allow it mate i'm afraid.

I've always had 1.8T Golfs/Leons and always had the REVO remap but never bothered telling them. I know some think thats wrong but once you mention Remaps and points on your licence they start adding

Thanks for your reply. Please can anyone answer this - can a 1997 golf vr6 be remapped without the use of a superchip or similar chip... if no chip is required then I can't see why I should tell the ins. company... unless they had a way of finding out it had been remapped? A remap is essential to get fueling / air mixtures correct to prevent the fuel running lean causing engine damage...not only for extra power. Thanks for any info on this.

I do know for a fact that Admiral/Bell Direct/Elephant etc who are all under the same company wont throw your policy out if you did mod the car and made a claim. My best mate is on the claims department for Admiral and all they do is charge the extra on top of your policy for the amount that declaring your mods would have come to in the first place.

Companies like Directline on the other arent so easy on you. I've got a friend who had his policy thrown out by Directline when he wrote his car off and didnt declare that the 1.8T Golf MK4 150BHP he was driving was in fact a 360BHP monster courtesy of Jabbasport.

Silly boy.

• 2 weeks later...

i`m with elephant,they`ll allow a chip that gives no more than a 10% power increase if i remember correctly,some mods they allow,some they don`t.

they let me lower my car 30mm but not with koni shocks,asked them if i needed more NCD but they said they just don`t cover cetain mods.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been with Elephant for the last 4 years.

They were OK with my exterior modications and induction kit. Little bit extra in price, about £10.

I think I'm about £450 with my wife on, fully comp, drive any car etc.

Well happy with that! I think that covers my original price of £8,000. I think I'll lower that price next time which help lower the quote! 8)