Track days??

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone has ever done track days with their VR6? My mate does them with someone he knows at the Mitsubishi Lancer Register using his stripped out Mk2 16v (170bhp). My car has got koni/eibach suspension, but feels heavy and lacking feel in the steering department and hasn't struck me as very well suited to it, although i may be wrong! Any thoughts appreciated :)

I have been round Castle and Cadwell Park in my mates Mk2, but i would like to give mine a go. I wouldn't want to be as committed as he is while driving though, it's my only car! I hope to get a service at Stealth next month, i may ask their opinion on the state of my car for such things.

Had mine on track at Elvington when my track car was broke. Had a great laugh thrashing round with my mate in his Vento VR6. We spent lap after lap blasting past other cars cos basically we didn't give a shit!

Eventually the head marshall came over and said "As entertaining as the one make championship is, can you slow it down please lads!"

Ideally i would like a second car for track use, but at the moment i don't really have anywhere to keep one. Plus the tax, insurance etc it will get pricey, i have a mortgage to pay! My mate is lucky, he works for his Dads car prep company, so he has a transporter and workshop to use (lucky git) At least i have the original 15" wheels that came on the car i could use, rather than ruin my 17" wheels and tyres.

problem with track days, is that its seriously stressful on your car, golfs unlike nissan skylines werent made for racing around tracks, so on a 10 year old car, its gonna take its toll. i think your absolutely right about trying to get a secondary car to use....like vdubgirl, has a mk2 which is used specifically for racing!

I have thought about a Mk2 for use as a track car, my mate has some knowledge of the car which would be handy, they are relatively cheap and strong, and most parts would be quite cheap. What sort of insurance do you use, if i was going to just drive the car to the track and back, some form of third party/fire/theft would seem to be ok. Is there an age of car where it would be eligible under a classic policy?

Agree with Claire & Nerih really! I neglected to state that my vr isnt my main car and therefore i can get away with any problems that may occur! and believe me, they do happen! Sprints up at the Pod tend to be less stressful on mechanics, providing you dont push your motors limits.

As far as insurance is concerned, I think HIC are the only road insurane company to be able to offer track and event insurance but they dont cover nitrous powered vehicles (bummer!)! !sad

1126894247_882_FT78253_finished_at_last_.jpg

I have thought about a Mk2 for use as a track car' date=' my mate has some knowledge of the car which would be handy, they are relatively cheap and strong, and most parts would be quite cheap. What sort of insurance do you use, if i was going to just drive the car to the track and back, some form of third party/fire/theft would seem to be ok. Is there an age of car where it would be eligible under a classic policy?

[/quote']

HIC are good for track and classic car insurance. The MkII you see in my sig was classed as a classic car as it was over 15 years old. I paid £150 for a whole years insurance TPFT only 3000 limited milage and all mods declared :D