Cant get my stereo back in

Help please people Ian (the b/f ;-) ) Put my subs and amps in my vr on the weekend but we now have a problem that because of all the RCA's and extra wiring coming out the back of my stereo we cant seem to get to stereo back in the dash.

Any tips please theres not a lot of room to play with &|

It's a real bugger, isn't it!!

Spent many happy hours trying to get my new headunit back in after fitting amps & OFC speaker cables to mine.

What I did in the end was to remove the lower trim below the airbag on the passenger side (mine is just a tray, but later models have a glovebox here). This enables you to get your hand round the back of the stereo and pull the cables, connectors etc downwards. The stereo will then slide fully home with a bit of a push, with the cables and connectors sitting underneath it and to the left.

Tricky to explain..

I did much the same as the rest - removing the shelf under airbag on the passenger side & the facia cowling under the steering wheel. It's best to gently(!) pull on the RCA & speaker leads to remove any slack until they are poking out of the stereo hole just enough to allow them to be connected up. Most connectors are either a click-fit or in the case of the RCA's a snug fit so they won't come off unless they get tugged hard. Once connected ease the stereo in while gently pulling on the leads (does this sound rude? :o ) & it should all go in ok although it's always a bit tight when the stereo finally clicks into place.

oh how i can relate to this thread!!! the passenger airbag is a pain but i found it helpful to remove the glovebox compartment and thread the wires around into the centre console (easier if you drop the wires down through the headunit slot as gravity helps!) But the problem of how to make the headunit fit back in with all the extra wires and phono plugs is a real pain!! Almost got my hand stuck once or twice!! I found the only real way was to slowly push the headunit back into position (with all connectors in place) and then gently tug on the other ends of the cables where they emerge from the left of the centre console. There really isn't any room for maneover at the back of a headunit. Good luck &|

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I took the airbag out to do mine......take the glove box out, exposes 2 bolts undo then remove the airbag.....just handle with care and DON'T unplug it!!! There's enough length on the airbag lead to sit the airbag on the top of the dash.----oops, just realised how OLD this thread is.

Sorry!

[ Edited Sun Jun 20 2004, 12:12AM ]

• 2 weeks later...
I took the airbag out to do mine......take the glove box out' date=' exposes 2 bolts undo then remove the airbag.....just handle with care and DON'T unplug it!!! There's enough length on the airbag lead to sit the airbag on the top of the dash.----oops, just realised how OLD this thread is.

Sorry!

[/quote']

lol no worries my head unit is still hanging out &| gonna order my new head unit this week hopefully :P