Hi Guys and Gals,

I've seemed to have developed a strange problem with the speedo, it occasionally starts jumping around then dies completely, then will come back to life again. Any ideas? Is there a sensor that controls the speedo, if so is it anywhere near the thermmostat housing? The reason i ask is this problem started afer i changed the housing.... :@ Any help would be great.

Cheers

Phil

Dont quote me on this,

But theres a bunch of wires that go to round multipole connector just above the coil pack. Check that all wires are OK to the connector and also that the contacts are clean. As i have read someone having problem with speedo, which turned out to be a bent connector on this plug

i had EXACTLY the same problem, you need to replace the speed sensor, this is located towards the back part of the engine on top of the gearbox. it has a wire clip sticking out of it and a hex nut that secures it into the gearbox. also known as transponder unit or speed sender.as soon as i changed it - it worked immediately. managed to source it from acf181 - a member here who had a spare, good luck with this!

Guess what...? Yep the problem has started again, which leads me to think that it wasnt the distance sensor after all. Any ideas, as it seemed to of cleared. I tested the wires/plug with a multi meter to check for broken wires and high resistance both where fine. I'm running out of ideas now... Any help would be fab... !shy

Just came to this thread, sorry I didn't check sooner mate as my car's rev counter occasionally behaves in a totally identifcal fashion, so the sensor wasn't guaranteed to work :( Stealth told me it was usually a bad earth, but when checking couldn't find any such problem.

I even find when the revcounter starts to go mental giving the clocks a slap on thr lower right side cures it temporarily, which still seems to suggest some kind of connection problem. Of course, I must look a bit odd to other drivers, sitting behind the wheel and punching the dashboard, but there u go...

Other than trying a new set of clocks to see if that makes a difference though, I don't know what to suggest either :/