Ive seen a few people post comments on the vr6 gear ratios being poo. and jus wanted to ask if anyone can clear this up. Is the vr6 box actually that cack, cos i find it a little sluggish, as tho it doesnt want to rev. but other than that, acceleration is fine. could we get an explination on the best setups for these situations.

Dragstrip

track race

0-100

top speed

and is there any suggestions about lsd's, traction control or going synchro. just any opinions/experiences/facts people have, to help those not in the know. thanks (sorry bout the long post)

Guest couzens

I reckon we should all go for a group buy next on a six-speed box. I hate watching the needle above 4k rpm when hammering it in a straight line. Question is will a totally different box fit which will get rid of the long gear travel or is it best to have the existing box modified?

I investigated fitting the B&M short shift kit to reduce the travel - but was told it wouldn't fit. Bit of a pi$$er as I used to have short shift on my Mk2 - it used to feel like flicking a switch it was that short!

Neuspeed and Awesome do a conversion to the linkage mechanism under the gearstick - it is much better than standard, but still wasn't anywhere near as what I was used to on my Mk2.

yeah, ive just been on www.bmracing.com, and it shows a kit for the golf vr6 mk3/4. mk4s will be cable change too wont they? id inquire further, cos that would be a better group buy than a new box, cos a new box would mean big expense, and ppl may like to have them set up differently.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a corrado box with Quaiffe LSD.

The diff is great, reduces torque steer to next to nothing in the dry.. I've found that it doesn't improve my straight line starts much (still lit the tyres up @ pod)

Six speed box is my next mod (some time away) Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't it put an extra cog between 2nd and 3rd?

B&M DO produce a short shift kit for the mk3 VR6 Golf. I've heard although it reduces throw, it makes the gears feel 'uncertain' when you change..

Stealth's six speed box is by Gemini - it's based on a road version of the 'box they used to supply to VW Motorsport Rally team. First and second gears remain standard because they are cut on the original input shaft ? this maintains good low rpm tractability and also keeps the overall cost down as the shaft is not changed. The new third gear is given a lower ratio (1.5:1) to make the previously large step between second and third smaller, causing the engine to lose less revs. The remaining gears are arranged closely around it with fourth coming in at 1.2:1, fifth 0.95:1 and sixth 0.84:1 (the same as the original fifth gear.) Unlike the straight-cut Motorsport cogs, the road version is helical cut (sloping) to reduce gear whine.

5th gear is fitted to the output shaft and it is machined in one-piece with sixth.The gears are mated to the two-way synchro hub and the standard barrel bearings then fit inside a VW Motorsport end casing.

thanks for that. you didnt mention weather you think its worth the £1500 price tag though, and what about the quaife diff? is it any use in "fast road" driving, and is this worth the £500. also is it feasable to put a quaife in with standard gearing? or is there no point?

rite, just been onto stealth about the 6 spd. gemini have stopped trading so they only do the quaife synchromesh and diff.. yet they have been on back order since jan... prices fitted are...

Quaife synchromesh 6 spd kit - £2100 + VAT

Quaife differential - £590 + VAT.

So i think its just a new box, chain/tentioner, clutch, and may go for flywheel too. any recomendations on clutch, I was thinking black diamond.