(Guide) How to tell if you have ODB1 or ODB2

Guest Anonymous�212.10.34.16

If have just bougth a late '96 (97 model) ABV 2.9 VR6 engine from a Golf Syncro...

Is that an OBD2? It is the one with Black plastik Cover, and no Idle engine next to the TB.

binliner will confirm this, but i believe that all cars after 96 are odb2 regardless, my 1995 highline was one of the last odb1's to feature a carpetted boot and coil(which are features of an odb 2 car, although from my car its clear that its posslbe with odb1)

look for the differences in the guide, thats what i wrote it for.

• 2 weeks later...

hello, just complete this thread, one of the BIGGEST reasons ODB2 make more power than ODB1 is not the throttle body!!

apparently the injectors on the vr6 are all on 1 side (front side) meaning that the fuel mixture has to travel further down the manifold to reach the rear bank of cylinders, whch can cause a poor lean mixture.

in later odb2 models, vw rewrote the ecu code and redid the wiring, so that the rear bank of injectors would be coded up to fire 5% more fuel that the front bank, which took car of the mixture problem, hence resulting in a stoich mixture reaching the rear bank.

(info from vw motorsport)

look at the pic in this link do only the obd1 have that sucktion,shock absorber thing at the back of the tb.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XXL-VR6-THROTTLE-BODY-AMD-Golf-Corrado-VR-6_W0QQitemZ8004509055QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem also is this worth buying would it make a differance if so what would i expect.

• 7 months later...

Can i get a deffinate confirmation that the OBD2 has no pipe on top of the intake between the MAF and throttle body?

iv baught one which the guy said was OBD2 but had the pipe on top and mine doesnt. Im sure he aint trying to con me so are there other versions of the OBD2 with the pipe on top?