Lately my engine sounds a little noisy, not a good sort of noisy, more like a rattle. It is not just when the engine is cold, but after a good run. I'd got out of the car today after the engine was run for about 20 minutes and it comes from the drivers side of the engine, which sounds like the chain? Does it need tightning, or am I just hearing things?? The overall running of the car is fine, same as it always was.

ok just had a listen with the bonnet up, there is no noticable rattle from the right hand side of the engine (when looking from the front of the car). The noise seems to come from the left where the belts are. Have you got any pics of where to find the engine mounts? The noise is worringly similar to the sewing machine sound as described on vwvortex.

[ Edited Tue Apr 06 2004, 09:07PM ]

yeah, i was about to say that...there's only two types of vr6 engine, 12v and 24v...all mkIII's/'rado's are 12v, with mkIV/bora/r32 being 24v.

basically, you either get 2/4/5 (5 is very very rare)valves per cylinder, a mkIII vr6 has 6 cylinders, and two valves per cylinder, so a total of 12 valves.

thought i'd explain it, you seemed confused (appologies if it was a typo instead)

yeah sorry guys had my 4 pot brain in gear, the article on vortex was about the mark IV VR6 which threw me a bit, as like you say they are 24v (yet they say 12v?). Dunno why I was rattling (pardon the pun) about the 8v & 16v, think it's my over familiarity with the 1.8 and 2L 4 pots! B)

[ Edited Tue Apr 06 2004, 09:11PM ]

The 12v mrkIVs came out in the US when the Golf mrk IV was launched (before the development of the 24v unit had finished). Think it was produced to satisfy the US market before they could get their hands on the 24v vr6.

So they have both. I think the 24v then superceded the 12v.