Morning guys

Last time used car abs light was on since then car been stored but now decided to get back on road so yesterday put scanner on her and has told me 3 abs sensors are gone and abs pump a fault firstly thought about swapping all sensors and replacing pump or just getting pump refurbed just wanted to see if any of you guys have had this prob and simplist way over it, she's a. 97 plate obd2

Proper VCDS should tell you exactly where the issue is.  Try just cleaning your 3 sensors off as they could be showing faults due to sitting so long.  If that doesn't cure it then start by replacing those as that will be the cheapest route.  Moving on from that its pump next you can buy a second hand one or BBA reman will refurbish it (UK) Based company.  

Usually when you get sudden or sporadic multiple faults like that it is the ecu bolted to the bottom of the abs pump that is to blame. I've got the same problem with mine at the moment. Just need the time to get the ecu off and speak to bba reman to recondition it or a replacment.

Edited by cactusjackslade

I have read on here about someone managing to take just the ecu off without taking the whole pump off. It's bolted to the bottom of the pump with 4 or 6 very small star or E torx bolts and a couple of electrical plugs. It would be tight getting it past the brake pipes but iv defiantly seen it on here that someone has managed it. Its a job iv got to do myself soon so let me know how you get on...

Is it definitely the controller? Good way to test is

1) clear faults and turn ignition off

2) lift rear seats, you will see a couple of cables going to rear wheel wells and the connectors around the middle, these will be the ABS sensors

3) swap them over

4) turn on ignition and check vcds for errors, if the same sensor is showing as faulty it's likely the controller (as you just swapped them)

It is possible to remove controller only but you need to be careful of bending and breaking the brake lines.

Once off send to BBA reman, mine lasted for 4+ years and should still be going as Dave cw now has the car.

Please don't do the remove bulb from warning light fix as that is a bodge job and the VR deserves better!

Peace out.

S

• 4 weeks later...