Hi All, went to clean the MAF on the new car today and guess what, I can't find it! It's my assumption that it 'should' be between filter and turbo? Well I have taken the filter off and put my entire arm down the pipe to where it bends just before going into the turbo and nothing!

The next place I was thinking of looking is before the throttle body, but as it's an SRI that faces down I can't see past the custom rad, I can just make out the TB.

The last owner doesn't know and I have had no response yet from previous owners.

Any other suggestions before I take the front off?

Cheers

Steve

Firstly Steve, have you got spaghetti arms?! I wouldn't get my arm up the inlet?!

Secondly, I think Ben told me the other day that some turbo conversions run maf less?!

On golfs the maf gets moved to inside either the drivers or passenger wing I believe.

Edited by Bealieboy

What Ben said is correct, :)

If running an aftermarket map,

You can have the MAF deleted from map.

Reason people do it is,

The type of MAF that came on VR's doesn't like air turbulence or vortexes, so with the turbo spinning it creates an air vortex (where the air spins). This cause the MAF to miss read, as there's to much turbulence and vortical flow.

This is also why VR MAF have a mesh / gauze at the front to help try and stream line the air. So adding a turbo or supercharger mess that right up.

But that's old technology these days,

You can buy an aftermarket pro MAF for VR's to solve the turbulence and vortex problem.

It uses a different more modern sensor.

Usually 95mm rather than 76mm like standard.

Also the coding for a standard MAF can be changed to work with newer coding I believe. Solving the problem with original sensors and newer coding.

Deleting the MAF from a map, changes the way the car calculates it fuelling. And would need to be write in to the cars map.

Edited by c00k