rado's got an annoying tapping noise when the car's hot, but it isn't consistant. one day i drive and everything's fine and the another one... tapping appears for a while just be again ok 2 hours later. yep i used 'search' option at forum but couldn't find anything more than advices to change the oil etc. but it has been done recently (last saturday) in a good vag garage. the noise disappeared for a week and come back just a bit quieter than before.

bought him a few months ago. before i was able to put him on the road it took about 3 months and i know for sure an half of year before the car stood on the driveway before the owner decided to sell it to me. but as i said all basics has been sorted so it has to be something more. it's my daily so i treat him very nicely :-) especially now i'm not going too crazy. any ideas?

It could be three things, and only three things that can cause knocking in a VR6. First check if tapping is coming from behind the motor, if it is i suggest taking a look at the oil pump shaft that runs from the bottle up. Second, it could be an annoying sticky lifter! Remove the valve cover and turn the motor as you check for possibel clearance in the cam lobs. And third, could be a rod know. Suggestion is to remove the oil pan, and check each and every rod. Spin the motor, grab the rods and try and move them, shake them. If you notice play, even the slightlest, its a Rod knock! Hope its not that one! Happened to me twice!

sounds like somwhere from the front of the engine bay VR6Pete.

It could be three things, and only three things that can cause knocking in a VR6. First check if tapping is coming from behind the motor, if it is i suggest taking a look at the oil pump shaft that runs from the bottle up.

it isn't defo the oil pump coze had it checked a few days aqo and had a small upgrade on the spring coze it has been loose a bit.

so the choice is between an annoying sticky lifter or a rod knock (hope not!)  

heard somwhere that every vr6 got a tapping noise when the engine has done over 100k?

Edited by bluemotion

My original engine didn't do it, that got to 194,000miles and head gasket went,  then fitted a 2nd hand engine, that didn't do it to begin with and then started, i changed the lifters and it went away but came slowly over a 1000miles or so.

Took that engine out and noticed a very slight blow on the exhaust manifold, which i'm told can cause the noise, but can't be totally sure that was it.

Got a new engine going in so hoping that will be quiet.

sounds like somwhere from the front of the engine bay VR6Pete.

it isn't defo the oil pump coze had it checked a few days aqo and had a small upgrade on the spring coze it has been loose a bit.

so the choice is between an annoying sticky lifter or a rod knock (hope not!)

heard somwhere that every vr6 got a tapping noise when the engine has done over 100k?

Well i would honestly suggest taking a look at the Rods. You want to eliminate that first, because if you go spending money on lifter only to find out its still there you will be pissed! Take a look at them, once you are clear it isnt the Rods then move on to the lifters brother! I hope it isnt Rod knocks!

What happens to the rods? I reused my old ones in my new engine build, hope they are ok.

If you used the old Rods on your new motor the problem could be in fact either a spun Rod or Main bearing. The only way to know for sure if pulling the Motor and Crank to check for damage for Main bearings. You can check Rod bearing know from under the car. Remove pan and physically grab and try to move Rods. Most of time you will find it.

If you in fact have a spun rod or main bearing i suggest highly either buying a new lower block (save money) or buy new crank and Rods, and get your block sent to machine shop to check for damage and balancing. Did you replace bearings? Thrust bearings? Main or Rod bearings? And did the other motor have any damage prior to switching Rod? The Majority of time when a VR6 spins a bearing the Rod is damaged and have to replace.

If you used the old Rods on your new motor the problem could be in fact either a spun Rod or Main bearing. The only way to know for sure if pulling the Motor and Crank to check for damage for Main bearings. You can check Rod bearing know from under the car. Remove pan and physically grab and try to move Rods. Most of time you will find it.

If you in fact have a spun rod or main bearing i suggest highly either buying a new lower block (save money) or buy new crank and Rods, and get your block sent to machine shop to check for damage and balancing. Did you replace bearings? Thrust bearings? Main or Rod bearings? And did the other motor have any damage prior to switching Rod? The Majority of time when a VR6 spins a bearing the Rod is damaged and have to replace.

Hi thanks for reply.

I bought a brand new block and pistons (was a guy on ebay selling them)  Then got stealth racing to swap over the rods and crank from my old engine, i asked them to fit everything else new. So all bearings and washers etc

I think after reading your reply i'm worrying about nothing :lol:  Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I had a weird intermittent taping from front end, left hand side of engine. My also had the same issue on his old mk3 and turned out to be a bearing on the water pump, or one of the bearings down in that areA. I gave the bearings in that area a little squire with wd40 and it went away. Worth a try!

If it's a consistent tapping noise, it's not the rods simple as. Big end shells will cause a definite knock/clack that not only gets faster with engine speed, gets considerably louder and nastier. Sorry king but I think we will have to professionally agree to disagree.

As Pete says the 12v is a happy tappy engine, combination of general chain running noise, followers etc.