Hi , it seems that i need to replace the 20 year old mass airflow sensor on my vr6 as its not working properly anymore but i wanted to know if this is a part that should be bought from a vw dealer or can you save money and buy elswhere ? I know its going to cost an arm and a leg!

I know with some parts like HT leads its best to go to vw but was'nt sure about the MAF 

• 3 weeks later...

This sounds like a plan as OBD2 maf sensors are much cheaper and im pretty sure OBD1 sensors will become obsolete at some point  , i was thinking that without cutting and splicing i could make up a short bit of loom to connect to the existing plug?Im having a look now to see how you wire the 6 obd1 wires into the four needed for obd2

then i will just need a new inlet hose but i dont know if the obd2 inlet hose will attach to the obd1 throttle body ? 

cheers for the reply mate!

Edited by rsweeney

The VR6 plug actually has 5 Female receivers, the MAF has 6 pins. One of those pins i believe its the 5th one is a burn off, you can ignore it. Also, you wouldnt have to change the ECU if you cut and splice,

1----1

2---2

3---4

4---3

5---Burn off wire(leave disconnected)

But, if you dont want to cut and splice to OBD2 plug you can just swtich to OBD2 like you said brother.

• 2 years later...