Going to buy my first VR!

Hey guys I'm new here and going to view/buy my first VR6 on Saturday, now the car seems pretty solid and the owner has already told me that there is rust corrosion on the o/s/f wing and n/s sill but nothing major.. My only issue is that he lives near the sea side and salty air and all that.. So is there hotspots I should search for on rust as I don't want a rust bucket! Also how hard is it to weld sills (I'm a mechanic not a welder) and is it really bad to have rusty sills? Thanks :D

YEah mainly where you want to check is where has been mentioned. Go over it with a fine toothed combe around the bottom of the wing, sill footwell area. Jacling point etc... They tend to rot badly there. If it has arch covers, have a good look as they will likely be hiding corrosion underneath. Not a problem really if you plan on leaving them on.

Sills are easy enough to do although I cannot advise much on cost. Around the jacking points and the flooring area is where you need to be worried as I was quoted £600 to replace the flooring and sill on my passenger side. Decided just to scrap the car in the end as the other side was going also.

Cost was just to much since I had another VR to !

If you want a good job doing then it isn't a cheap option. You pay for the quality of work you get. Make sure you check that the sills and jacking points haven't been recently under sealed as people tend to do this before putting the car up for sale. Check along the bottoms of the doors and boot lid for rust aswell.