hi guys, yes im back after a fairly good experience of owning a mk4 1.8T,

i need your advice guys, i am considering a very nice VR6 highline in black / 5 door with less then 55000 miles on the clock and main dealer history, decent owner etc, all good.....

only thing is that it is an AUTO, i have not owned an auto vr6 only a manual and was wandering what your views are on autos especially considering that this one has only done little mileage..

so please please can i have some feed back on the pros and cons of the auto vr6..

cheers guys

oh...and the ABS light is intermittent due to a faulty sensor, is this a big issue??

My choice would always be manual on any car however, that said, I hear that the auto box drive ratios are very well matched to the engine and many have commented that an auto is not as bad as it sounds. Personal preference at the end of the day.

The 4 speed Auto box fitted to the Golf & Corrado VR6 doesn't wear high mileages well and failures at between 70k and 90k are not uncommon, landing the owner with a large bill.

If you've got a choice, then the 5 speed manual is a better bet.

thats why i am confused, wouldnt mind an auto living in congested london, and i am not really buying it for the speeding either (i know i sound boring lol) i want a vr6 again for the mk3 model, the ease of driving and the extras i.e leather etc...

has anyone on here got an auto?

sanky: can you explain this overhaul at 80K? do you mean it needs a new gear box or...?

i didnt really want an auto but seems as though i might be able to strike a p/x deal for the mk4

cheers

I have an auto and it is nice to drive, still very fast and nice easy driving. However as they say auto's seem to have problems , mine at 60K miles is starting to get sticky when it locks up in top gear. Nothing major but a nuisance at times,. I imagine it will be expensive to fix, since almost anything requires box out and if you do that you may as well refurb. So more likely to have to fork out on an auto box but it is nice lazy driving and you can do over a ton in 3rd if you want to.

whoa, how you manage that on an auto?? over a ton in 3rd?

so guys its looks like it will have to be a 'better safe then sorry' get a manual i guess, right now though i hear it is too difficult to sell a car, not enough interest, i have only had a few calls on mine ... so if i sell up then i will deffo jump to a VR6 but manual.... unless of course someone posts something here to change my mind lol

I have an auto gearbox and I've already blown one box as putting to much power through and reckon the second box won't last forever.

130 mph is the max in 3rd !lol

If I had the choice I'd buy a manual but if you keep the engine standard then an auto isan't a problem.

How much are they asking for the VR?

i would buy the auto and then put a manual box on it. reason being that autos dont hold the gears as long a you do in a manual therefore, meaning less stress and strain on the engine parts i would have thought. the engine doesnt get as much punishment as a manual either.

just my 2p's worth ;)

nick

Converting an auto to manual requires a fair few parts to be swapped. You have to swap the following parts for ones off of a manual VR:

- Flywheel

- Clutch

- Gearlever, shift mechanism & shift cables

- Pedal box & clutch master cylinder

- Clutch slave cylinder and hoses

- Radiator top hose

You need to rewire the reversing lights, as these work off of the Auto Box ECU

You also need VAG-COM to tell the engine ECU that the auto box ECU isn't there any more.

I have an auto gearbox and I've already blown one box as putting to much power through and reckon the second box won't last forever.

130 mph is the max in 3rd !lol

If I had the choice I'd buy a manual but if you keep the engine standard then an auto isan't a problem.

How much are they asking for the VR?

they are asking for