I was looking at my wheels (same ones as you refer to) and spoke to a guy who had done this. Its not difficult to speprate and you need an 8mm spline bit to undo the bolts. Apparently its best to use and impact tool to get the initial breakout on the bolts. Be very careful as the bolts are quite rare and expensive to replace.

The standard size as fitted to Mk3 Anniversarys is 215/40/16, so is probably the best. People have also been known to run 205/45/16 which isn't far different and can be a little cheaper. I run 205/40/16 on mine, and find the ride a bit harsh as they are lower profile than the 215/40's I had before.

I will be very happy when i find wheels like yours! He in Brazil is very difficult and expensive a BBS set. We heve a several types and factures, but BBS is simply the best. So, i must have have fun with my 15" sets.

15x6,5 - for track-days

http://www.santafuria.trix.net/hcc/fotosforum/dsc00106.jpg

15x6 - for street

http://www.santafuria.trix.net/hcc/fotosforum/alturasuspensao_01.jpg

can someone tell me why there is a need to use silican sealer before reasembling,and do you just smear it around bolt hole surface area ,also would like to know torque settings.looking to fit 205/45/16s

cheers. brian

the silicon just re-seals the rim stopping any air leaks! the stuff bbs use is nasty! good waterproof silicon is ideal, dont know about the torque settings but its tight! dont snap em though or you will be stating again after a bit of drilling! there was a guy who sold rallyes who had all the bolts and rims he would know but i cant remember his name though! i am sure awesome or dubsport would know?

The outer rim that holds the tyre and air is one piece, the other piece is just a bolt on front.

I discovered this when i took one apart last night!

I emailed BBS to find the torque settings and got a reply from 'Wendig' - "we do not publish torque settings as it is not allowed to split the rims, this will lose your garanty and your safety"

Obviously they have to cover their backs in this situation, so i understand them not wanting to give out torque settings, but is it actually dangerous to use the wheels if they have been split and put back together using appropriate torque settings?

If the torque was checked before undoing some bolts, would that be a safe torque to use on reassembly?