I have recently purchased a VR6, it is now back on the road, however looking at the engine I have found this breather/filter (K& N), what is it for?

Also the car has had a K & N induction kit fitted, I am concerned about the build up of heat on the exposed cone, would the standard air box be better, or would directing a source of cold air to the K & N cone be better?

Thanks

post-93760-0-38664800-1393667721_thumb.j

Edited by Jamsplodge

hmmm...it seems very loose a "max power" filter not loose.

So looking at this the Pcv vavle has split and someone has stuck this filter on one end of it, is this normal?

Or should I pick up a replacement valve and reconnect it all properly?

Edited by Jamsplodge

You have two options. 

1) Seal up the open of the pcv valve-its letting un-metered air into the engine and leave the filter on the breather outlet

2) Sack off the vent filter and replace the pcv, don't think these are available on their own from vw, but are from Ford for around £50

• 2 weeks later...

With that current breather filter you will get the smell of oil in your cabin when the heaters are on.... Personally I would get the PCV valve and reconnect properly.

Naaaa....Lol

Run the Filter to atmostphere as he's doing now.

BUT, get a long arse pipe and run it to the side of the wing or at the back of the block.

It does clog up throttle when original piping is on. :)

I run a long pipe to the back of my subframe. Want to install a decent catch can system though.

I purchased one of the Alphabet Bay, Didnt use it as it required small Filter on the outlet.

Just left it with the Pipe and filter hanging right below at back end of block. 

No Fumes!!! :)