coming back from no-rice last night,little red light starts flashing, "coolant" temp was as normal so got it home, had a look today and the header tank is full of brown sludge :? . Am i right in thinking it could only be the head gasket??? I know the life span is about 90k for these and mine's done 113k.#

has anyone recently changed theres or know what sort of money it will cost me to put it right????

also while the head is off, any thing else to check for???

any help much thanky

sounds like oils got into the coolant system, so yeah can only be the headgasket imo. What red light was flashing? If the coolant temp was normal it couldnt of been engine temp. What was your oil temp? did you check it?

Its 80 quid for a headgasket set for a start, if the heads coming off my as well change valve stem oil seals as they are only cheap.

basically Pete if theres a leak in your head gasket from cylinder to water jacket for example the oil is getting pushed into the leak into the coolant system so thats where the oil (gunk) and pressure is coming from by the sounds of it.

Get your coolant system pressure tested- that should show a drop.

Any white gunk on your oil cap?

does sound like you've damaged your h/g, i also suyspect your temp guage is malfunctioning.

geta compression test done, and a leak test...then go from there.

if those tests give acceptable results i'd just change the coolant and not worry about it.

Just replacing mine at the moment

so far I have spent approx £350 on bits but doesn't include rework on c head.

I have replaced everything though, chains, tensioner, clutch etc

I think the final bill will be around £500 labour not included.

check your oil cooler has not blown as you will get the same symtoms except it will drive ok its next to the oil filter and looks like it would have a filter in it this is mutch cheaper to replace and you say its driving the same just got oil in the water its a big possibillity