VR6 OBD2, rescue project ... it begins! L46 DPE

its gotta come back out tomorrow or tuesday to sort the heater flaps out properly as least i got luke warm heaters but i want HEAT ...  people say about using HVAC aluminium tape but i was going to cover the holes with sheet metal ..  just either tack weld it on or self tapper it over the holes?

Blimy mate, you dont hang around with this did you? 

I feel for you as well, after spendingthe same sort of money on my vr last year which "only needed a service and a it of TLC" I got it home to find it was leaking oil everywhere, brakes were buggered/non existant, the front springs cut for "custom lows", loads of holes in the floor. 

Good job on getting this far so quickly though. Certainly, I wouldnt want to be taking out the dash in this weather either,. 

Keep it up and enjoy the times you can drive it. :) 

right well AGAIN i pulled the dash out n heater box...  removed the flaps and covered then with the Aluminium foil tape both sides and a little more for extra secuirty...  then put it all back together .....  WE HAVE HEATING :) .....  but the cheap  horrid breather filter is allowing the cabin filter to suck in fumes  so  gotta get a catch tank n fit that tomorrow ,  get welding done this week ( would do it but welder in storage and no where to do it) ...  then skirts fitted again ..  coilovers ...  whees re furbed if cant find some new ones.. and then i think im reay to bolt my turbo  shizzle one ...  At last ! ...  what a mission its become!! 

skirt tims back on ,  scuttle plastics plreaced along woth pollen filter (  what a w*nker those clips are ) all interior plastic blanks replaced ...  starting to look like a car again ...  hopefully catch tank will be here today or tomorrow ..  might tackle the sunroof as its been gasket sealed shut ..  its gonna be a bent mech i presume 

yqatyze5.jpgy6u2eda6.jpgade3use5.jpg

Fitted my catch tank yesterday and my HID's ... 6000k .. What a difference . Just got to upgrade main beam . Then the postie bought my short runner inlet manifold :) . Cars gone for welding this morning so skirts will be back on tomorrow after a liberal dose of stone chip on the outers and inners !! A good clean inside and out .. Refurb rims n coilovers .. Then just the sunroof too tackle !! Ordered a new roll cab for work ... Turned up today .. 3ft tall including the top box ... I was pissed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone on vortex did it once. Supposedly lose low down and get more at the top. I guess it all depends how much difference your hoping it'll make. Realistically you'll never know till you have a go, you could always get one second hand, try it, and if it's not much cop flog it on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think someone on vortex did it once. Supposedly lose low down and get more at the top. I guess it all depends how much difference your hoping it'll make. Realistically you'll never know till you have a go, you could always get one second hand, try it, and if it's not much cop flog it on?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Schimmel performance say you also gain on NA engine with a short runner! But would like something to back it up with :)

Club Chairman

yza8y7an.jpguqu4e9a9.jpgpe8e6eqy.jpg

Had some help today my little rascal decided to help me stone chip the sills n rear aches .. Put the skirts back on .. Got an issue with the drivers door dropping so new pins from VW this week aslong as they still do them ... Plus I had to make a " modification " to one of my intake pipe for a re circ for the catch tank as it was venting to atmosphere so was pointless ... Plus filling the cabin with fumes . Found a rip in the carpet so I'll be buying a new one lol . Sunroof next payday n need to fabricate a few things ... It's got to me a touch this week but soon as I get a little van for work I'll be happier . Plus as I seem to be getting kicked in the bollocks I got myself a nice old classic snap on roll cab n too box ... Slow progress this week !!

teby5abe.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Little update , been mega busy at work so little chance to play .. My aux water pump packed up so I decided to get another n slap that on .. I was getting pressure in my coolant system n couldn't figure it out so I decided to try a rad as there on offer at £50 plus my old bottle was looking rather w*nk so got a new one from Tps n a cap .. Pressure issues seem to of gone .. The old pump when took apart was ok , bearings shot but I think the brushes were dead in all honesty .. Not investigated the rad as yet I imagine it's the original n full of shit ... So basically in last 5 weeks a whole new cooling system .. I might even run some water wetter to help disperse heat a little better .. New rad is nice but u can see the diff between OEM n aftermarket .. I also removed my induction kit and catch tank setup as I HATE stuff that looks max power and I pilfered an original setup of a mate for £20 including the maf but my maf was different . So she's getting there .. Pay day Thursday so new screen as I cracked it like a tw*t .. And either solid mounts or door hinges .. Next on the list is headlining out .. Sunroof fix .. Divers sill strip .. Rear boot badge n steering wheel cowling .. Then just maybe ill but my injectors n send a spare ecu off to be socketed . Toying with the Idea of forge pistons instead of a spacer as heads gotta come off anyways ..

Another little update , sunroof out today found out why it was broken . Picked up replacement .. So I'll fit it tomorrow and add some pictures , rear brakes this week aswell so I'll stick some pics up for anyone who might not know how to change um .. Coilovers going for re furb and considering going for a whole powerflex bush kit so I'll get some pics aswell ! Plus I washed it .. And I'll do a bit of paintwork aswell

Same thing that happens 9/10 times the cable runner had broke away so would open fully but not close .. I prob could of fixed it but bought a second hand one for now .. Ill strip the mech out n have a fiddle wen I get 5.. Got it all back in anyways

dy7usu3a.jpg

gere2yse.jpg

7ymape8e.jpg

asu8yra6.jpg

usavyjet.jpg

ygyby9ur.jpg

3esa7u9a.jpg

y2e5e5yh.jpg

well  in true VR style i went to change the brakes today n wheel bearings and some pr*ck has rounded all the allen key head bolts off so we had a game removing them ...  then found both rear calipers seized so after much swearing and having to removed the dust covers we got it all back together but obvs with no dust covers and knowing there fuc*ed wven though they went back eventually im gonna get some new ones ..  plus ill get some second hand carriers n get um sanded down n painted so it all looks fresh ...  plan for tomorrow is engine oil change n filter again .. its only done about 700  miles but it was intended as flush really before the Lucas oil stabilizer and a better oil went in ...  plus my box is whining and got stiff for a few miles the other day so ill drain it and use the VW oe oil and a half litre of the lucas gearbox oil treatment ... plus a new screen at the weekend ...  and hopefully the door hinges so i can align my door once n for all ...  then passenger window ...  all this sh*t and i havent got to get a step close to my turbo build apart from tracking down a spare engine n box so play with ...  so i can build my turbo engine out the car for minimal time off road. 

Edited by Jakeyb

sunroof removal looks complicated man. 

Question of the removal of rounded allen keys? How did you get them off? As ive rounded mine off due too being rusted. I have been struggling trying too get them off as of the little room behind the carriers. 

I know how you feel about feeling as if you're not getting anywhere. Havent really got mine on the road yet.. :/ 

Ye rear carrier bolts . Well new rear calipers Tuesday I hope . 312mm front brake setup aswell I hope next week .. Had a fu*king mare with windows . Ended up replacing a mech n a door loom after soldering n snapping brittle pins .. Tracing wires . Plus gotta attempt some home made solid engine mounts and still need some 16" wheels .... It's never ending !! Lol

So bought some 17's that will be going to be repaired n then ill paint them myself because I'm tight lol .. Got some calipers n carriers for my brake setup on front just gotta buy new discs n pads .. Looking at mk4 Ali rear calipers for the back .. Sand down n paint my calipers this week N go my gearbox n engine oil change