[moved] Top Tensioner - How Much?

Hi guys - how much roughly would I be looking at to have the top tensioner changed? Has a little rattle from the right hand side of the engine so Im pressuming it is that & its only done 67k but I havent got the funds for a full chain job at the mo.

It would be easier to disconnect the crank sensor plug on the front engine mount....that way you won't get fuel or spark for safe cranking.

The tensioner bolt doesn't need filling with oil if it's an OBD2 engine, and I'm assuming yours is as it's a 97...but to check, the head of early engines' tensioning bolts was about 1cm deep. If yours is about 4 or 5mm thick, it's the later spring/hyrdaulic type bolt and won't need bleeding. Part number ends with B on the later ones.

You'll need a 27mm socket to remove it.

At 67K, I seriously doubt you have tensioner or chain issues but stick a long screwdriver on the casing there to act as a stethoscope to be sure.

[ Edited Wed May 11 2005, 10:53AM ]

Thanks for the replies guys! I have a slight rattle from around the chain area of the engine but its going into the garage next week to be looked at so if it does need doing I'll get it done - better to be safe than sorry! Im doing a road rally month which includes a trip to the ring so I want to know that its all tip top before I go :0)

• 2 weeks later...

i would just remove the old one and pop in the new one....but then crank the engine wihtout the fuel pump fuse in till the rattling stops.

if you wanted to be really sure you coudl set the engine to TDC before, and then check it again before you fire it up.