Loud tapping noise, LHS of engine

Hi all, started the car after about a week of it sitting still, and it's suddenly developed a loud tapping noise from beside the timing chain. At first I thought it was a valve tapping, but it sounds like it's on the outside of the engine compared to inside. Would a collapsed bearing in any of the tensioners for the chain do this? I will try and upload a video later, how do I go about that?

Cheers guys!

I'm taking in to work tomorrow to have a proper look. Was dark when I noticed the noise last night. My boss is in to his vw's aswel so hopefully he will have an idea. How much would I be looking at for parts if I had to change the tensioners/chains?

you say the sound is coming from left hand side of engine? and your video also shows the left or alternator side. the chains on the vr6 are abit different to most other engines, they are on the gearbox side. i know sounds like this can be hard to pinpoint as they tend to ecco around the engine bay. if the sound is definitely coming from the left then it steers away from chains. 

you say the sound is coming from left hand side of engine? and your video also shows the left or alternator side. the chains on the vr6 are abit different to most other engines, they are on the gearbox side. i know sounds like this can be hard to pinpoint as they tend to ecco around the engine bay. if the sound is definitely coming from the left then it steers away from chains.

Thanks for that info! Didn't realise the chains were at the other side. Haven't had a chance to look yet due to lighting issues. I reckon it's a tensioner of some kinda. But could be the water pump as Pete said. I'll have an in depth look tomorrow and see what it could be. Hopefully nothing major.

Thanks for that info! Didn't realise the chains were at the other side. Haven't had a chance to look yet due to lighting issues. I reckon it's a tensioner of some kinda. But could be the water pump as Pete said. I'll have an in depth look tomorrow and see what it could be. Hopefully nothing major.

no problem, let us know what you find!

Screw the tensioner bolt in to take slack off the belt and spin by hand your pulleys to see what doesn't sound right, to me it's not just a bearing noise, sounds like something catching when rotating. Club Chairman

I agree with Pete, bearing noises tend to be a constant wine or drone not a tapping. As Pete said sounds like something catching or something mechanical ticking, like hydraulic cam followers... i know this is crude but have you checked engine oil level??

Little update, took it into work today and the boss said he has exactly the same problem on an old Audi he has. He said it was a pulley not being lubricated properly, and told me to squirt a little DW 40 in behind the pulleys. And so far it's gone. It got a lot better when warmed up but not seems to have gone completely. Will keep an eye on it though. Cheers for your help guys!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem on my 94 obd1, sounds like it coming from piston one area. after 30secs the engine is really quiet? my oil light started to flash as I was turning the key with coil unplugged to see if I could build up oil pressure to prime the lifters. ive also noticed my oil temp doesnt get past 80 so im guessing my oil is possibly too thick on cold startup hence the knock? im not sure what oil is in it but I know its at its required level and been recently replaced by the previous owner. should I try 5/30 or 10/40 im in the south of the uk and wondered what would be best for all year round. sorry for hijack.

I also have a similar noise, from similar area. Can't watch the Vid at the mo but will do later to compare. Mine is like a ticking/whining sound on start up usually, under load its stops and then on overrun it whines again. I'm going to try an oil change first, but at the same time want to take the sump off to check for a plastic tensioner chunks, got the gasket (weird metallic looking flat one, not cork or rubber with compression limiters?!?!) just gotta find a convenient time to do it!

Little update, took it into work today and the boss said he has exactly the same problem on an old Audi he has. He said it was a pulley not being lubricated properly, and told me to squirt a little DW 40 in behind the pulleys. And so far it's gone. It got a lot better when warmed up but not seems to have gone completely. Will keep an eye on it though. Cheers for your help guys!! :)

Sounds like the bearing on the pulley has dried up - this is dangerous as the bearing could cease and cause damage to the pulley / belt.

Keep an eye on this, but once you have identified which one is at fault, get it replaced :)