Need ECU / Faults reset after Coolant Sensor replaced

Go to solution Solved by Hutch,

Hi, I've had some idling problems. Until the engine was up to temp it would idle at about 1500rpm. After reading some tests I measured my 2-pin coolant sensor resistance and it was open circuit! So... fitted a new one now (new one measured 2.6kohm which seems about at today's temps). Now I think I need some codes cleared or ECU reset. When I start it now it's immediate, but idles at 1000rpm, and sometimes creeps up a bit.

I don't have a fault reader or vag-com so is there another way? If it involves unhooking battery the alarm is gonna sound constantly while it's off.

Any ideas? Cheers.

Ok thanks. I've had a quick search but not really sure what I'm searching for so any more info appreciated. Are you saying that I might need to actually adjust the idle-speed on the throttlebody itself? I assumed this was all done by wire on 'modern' cars. It is 17 years old I suppose :)

when your battery has been disconnected it will do a throttle body alignment when you put ignition on, if your bonnet is popped you will hear the stepper motor on the throttle body making noises as it "does stuff"

once the noises have stopped you can then start the car.

it takes about 10  - 20 seconds to complete.

Oh great! I've just found the alarm key, switched that off, and pulled battery. Will see how it goes. Thanks :)

Also just checked that I do have a data port, the cover was super-glued on for some reason!?

That is odd, this is the port next to the ash tray and above the fag lighter? If so this is the obd 2 diagnostic port, have you got a cable to connect it to a laptop yet?

• Solution

Just to clear this up for anyone else wondering about errors and ECUs and coolant sensors.

It turns out that my alternator failed the same day that I replaced the sensor, and the high idle seemed to be as a result of this. The alternator was replaced this afternoon and now the car idles at about 750-800 ish again, and feels good.

Will get vag-com on it anyhow when I find a windows laptop or a reader turns up, but for now, problem solved!

Just to clear this up for anyone else wondering about errors and ECUs and coolant sensors.

It turns out that my alternator failed the same day that I replaced the sensor, and the high idle seemed to be as a result of this. The alternator was replaced this afternoon and now the car idles at about 750-800 ish again, and feels good.

Will get vag-com on it anyhow when I find a windows laptop or a reader turns up, but for now, problem solved!

Good stuff mate :) glad to hear you got it sorted !

Club Chairman