How Much Power Can The Vr6 Auto Box Handle?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a auto and after a bit of (correction a lot of..) research I found that the gearbox is ok with 250 ish hp lbtq. However if you look at the import transmission website they can uprate the gearbox to take a lot more. Look on you tube type ipt vr6, that turbo corrado should be over 350whp. He uprated the valve body and the high stall converter.  This is not a cheap way to do it. Plus if you are doing that you might aswell recon the gearbox and uprate everything while your at it. On the plus side a drag race in a auto would be fun as nobody in the uk expects a auto to be quick. There are some very good autos, Toyota supras regularly run over 1000hp with a few mods. And the states are well know for big v8's running up the drag strip with huge hp.

the USA is the place to talk to people about tuning autos however there is another option if you have to have an auto.

A semi automatic clutch can be install for about 2k so the question is whats going to be better and cheaper, well both will be about the same as you would have to convert your car top manual which is costly or remove your gearbox to recon, either way get your wallet out or go r32 engine with a  dsg box.

I am in a quandary at the moment as autos in this country are rarely tuned and most people don't like them, me included, unless in traffic. However due to a ankle problem driving manual would be detrimental to my ankle so I have to drive a auto for the foreseeable future.

On another note I have had a 2.7 bi turbo a6 with 300bhp and it was rapid so  a golf with the same power would be very quick indeed as it weighs a good 600kgs less.

Hope this helped, keep me updated please.

I've been having naughty thoughts about an R32 engine & DSG box but don't want to go the full 4motion jobbie (I'd love to but something tells me it'd take me years lol)

I'm sure I read somewhere about the DSG box being converted to front wheel drive.... Was it that French gull wing monstrosity???

• 2 weeks later...