fabio's is obd1;)

i think it may be dependent on the diagnostics used....myself and fabio have these little stand alone units, and we dont get the code up if the engine isnt running, where as most vag-com (laptop) based systems seem to, as does the big stand alone system that my garage uses.

apparently its the engine speed sensor which appears when the engine isnt running, the guy told me to ignore that 1. its the vehicle speed sensor which is the problem think he said its on the crankshaft. that sensor and the hall sensor relay information to each other in order for smooth running? thats how i understood it.

[ Edited Sat Apr 23 2005, 12:37PM ]

the prob is that different mechanics/vw call these sensors many different names.

the hall sender is techincally the impulse sender and is on the cam.

IMO the vehicle speed sensor is the speedo sensor...but think your guy means the crank sensor.

note down the numerical codes next time ;)

he gave me a print off with the fault codes on, it reads as follows:

00281-vehicle speed sensor(G68)

27-00 -implausible signal

00515-camshaft position (hall) sensor(G40)

30-10 -open or short to B+ - intermittent

00513-engine speed sensor(G28)

03-00-no signal

i was told to ignore the last as the faults were read with the engine off and that comes up.

[ Edited Sat Apr 23 2005, 04:47PM ]

i presume the mechanic deleted all the codes and retested (so as to eliminate old 'one-off' codes)?

the G40 sensor is located behind coilpack...and is testable if you think there is deffo a fault. would usually cause loss of bhp, and create rough running. could just need a clean though.

g68 is road speed sensor....so thats your speedo drive. any probs there? it working fine? if so, prob an old code

speedo's fine defo no prob there. the guy said g68 is crankshaft sensor.

as for the g40 sensor i can vouch for that being intermittent coz sometimes the car just feels guttless and doesnt want to accelerate and other times it feels like it wants to fly and theres no holding it back!! and does run rough!

i ll try the cheapest solution 1st and clean it.

is there any thing i need to know about cleaning the g40 sensor or can i just remove it clean it and refit it?

crank sensor is the g28 one, g68 is deffo speedo sensor according to the bentley manual and the book that comes with my diagnostics. sounds like its an old code, maybe a mechanic unplugged it at some point and had the ig on (as that throws up a code)

yeah, just remove it and see if its manky. it describes how to test the sensor in the bentley, as if the fault is still there it could be the sensor, the wiring, or the magnet on the sproket (i had this fail on my vr6)...so best to test rather than replace.

good advice appreciate your help acf.

im gona take advantage of the good weather and do the camshaft sensor this afternoon!

know this has been asked before but where can i purchase 1 of these bently manuals?

are they the 1s being sold for £8.99 on ebay?

1 more question whats the best way of testing the hall sensor?

[ Edited Sun Apr 24 2005, 12:44PM ]