Sills, how do you get to them?

Hi Guys, (and girls) ;-)

just had the VR MOT'd and got an advisory on crunchy sills at front both sides otherwise straight through! what i need to know is how to get the plastic covers off to check the rest and get the rust cut out and welded.

daft question i know but is it easy? a how to without breaking stuff would be awesome.

cheers and thanks for looking.

steve

There is a row of screws along the very bottom of the big plastic sill covers. The front part of the top strip is (or should be if it hasn't rusted out) attached to the front wing, you need to pry the top strips off from the back end, they are only popped on along 2 locking strips so will come off with fairly little effort. With the bottom screws off and the top strip off the 2 big front and rear sections will just lift off the hanger fastened to the sill.

Hi all, go the covers off and no huge holes (thx Lukey could feel the prayers!) no holes at all actually, the jacking points at the front are the problem the edges have been bent and the outer sill is almost coming away, so what is the score? Chop out and weld in new? Any suggestions (or horror stories) welcomed.

Cheers

And if there is space see you at stealth.

Steve

I have my sills to look at fixing soon. I had an interesting experience of the driveshaft bolts shearing off when I powered away from Morrisons leaving me motionless in the middle of a roundabout with a horrid graunching noise (this is because I forgot to Loctite the bolts when I did the suspension).

After pushing the VR to the side of the road I went to jack up the car with the horrid thing that sits in the spazzy tyre in the boot. "Crunch" went the sill like it was made of Digestives!

I took my sill covers off when replacing the front wings and I couldn't believe how clean they were. There was a tiny bit if surface rusty just infront of the the rear drivers wheel. Ive left the covers off coz I think it looks cleaner and smoother which is the look im going for. But like Lukey said it's personal preference