Turbo Downpipe

I'm now at the stage in my conversion, where i'm looking at the downpipe

My set up is slightly different to the one in the DIY turbo thread and the wastegate will be coming almost straight on to where the downpipe starts, will this be a problem? I have attached a photo, to get an idea,

The two lambda sensors, will these be best as far down the downpipe as possible, just before a flexi?

Thanks all!

This is a rather bad picture of my turbo setup (i know its not the same but gives you an idea)

Note im using a cheap Chinese turbo for mark-up in case it got dropped! Then after fabrication, all that was needed was to chop the end off and fit a 3" V-Band fitting for a Garrett GT35.

Anyway, you can see my wastegate which is like yours, very close to the exit.

6281142785_abe103b96f.jpg

So with mine, I had enough room to do this...

6281151031_9cbbc53989.jpg

So... main bit of the downpipe is done

6281160677_60a1315785.jpg

On the turbo it looks like this. NOW... look at my wastegate exit, its going straight into the turbo exit. This will be terrible for exhaust gasses, so as Paul said, you need to turn yours 90 degrees so its facing towards the floor! I obviously had to turn mine 180 degree's to get it to point to the floor.

6281158003_360d6f88af.jpg

You'll want to end up with something like this. Which solves the problem, and it the best way to get the gasses to merge and flow properly. (and yes it is 38mm pipe)

6281218357_5e34831b0e.jpg

This is it finished. No need to worry about grinding welds off as the heat wrap hides all of that, but gives you extra strength.

6281692798_a3e463355d.jpg

Finished downpipe with the 3 inch V Band fitting added, wrapped up, and as you can see the gasses flow nice and smooth into each other, but also have a very tight turn just out of the turbo.

6281736230_79dcd18dea.jpg

Now, you're other problem with O2 sensors is an easy one too. I made my own exhaust and in the front flexy section, I made 2 O2 sensor holes, 1 for the original sensor, 1 for my wideband gauge. If it would be easy to add more, or one further down the system after a CAT or something.

6281729806_d04c82d20d.jpg

Anyway, I hope this gives you some idea of what to do with the wastegate pipework, you want the smoothest flow possible for the waste gasses. Keeping flow angles nice and tight like this is much better than putting it in at 90 degrees to the flow of the air in the downpipe, but you must not put the waste gasses into the downpipe the way that yours is set up in the picture.

Hope this helps! :)

Thanks Pete. It's a shame its all covered in heat wrap and you can't see the exhaust lol.

If you click on one of the pictures they should be hyperlinked to my Flickr account and there's loads of pics of the rest of the build (although not all as I haven't got round to sorting the pics out)

• 2 weeks later...