whistling noises HELP NEEDED

i have just bought my first vr6 and love it i have just done a 300 mile round trip and have developed a whistling noise which was bugging me.... i have found the culprit but need help to identify the actual part

it is a small saucer shape located near the pulley end of the engine it has a breather pipe comming out of the bottom of the air filter to the unit the issue is that the saucer has broken away from the hard plastic pipe which connects to the rocker cover (i think) what is this part (the saucer shaped one) and what is its job? can i bypass it or do i need it? and where will i find one?

i know thats a lot for a newbie but the noise is bugging me and i need to sort this out. any help would be appreciated!!!!

I think the saucer bit is just a one way valve or something but I maybe be wrong.

These have been known to split but it costs loads to get the part from VW as its part of the inlet pipe! Cost roughly £75 from VW.

Some people just put an oil breather on there instead but be careful of dripping oil coming out of it and hitting the exhaust manifold heat shield. To get around this use a section of pip to relocate the oil filter out of the way.