Hi All,

ok so l just got my car back from MOT with no major problems, the thing it failed on was there is too much travel in the strut tops?

Quote; Nearside front Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment [2.5.A.1c]

The way he explained it to me is that he had to jack it up for ages till the wheel lifted, now l havent noticed this before and l figure it is just the standard travel that the coilovers have?

However how would l reduce the travel they have or do you think it could be a problem? as l would like to get the MOT sorted lol

Many Thanks in advance :)

Now you kinda get two types... those that dont have a "leash" on them.... those that do...

Now you dont actually have a leash but some do just drop to the extent of their welll extension... So I would suggest a quick jack up and see...

If nothing else is moving once up in the air with the pry bar... then venue two and be there to see what they find....

Nearside front Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment [2.5.A.1c]

This is MOT tester speak for "You need new top mounts mate" :)

And is a very grey area on Golf top mounts, as they are designed to work with the weight of the car on them, so guess what happens when tested while being jacked up?

Nearside front Macpherson strut has excessive movement at the upper attachment [2.5.A.1c]

This is MOT tester speak for "You need new top mounts mate" :)

And is a very grey area on Golf top mounts' date=' as they are designed to work with the weight of the car on them, so guess what happens when tested while being jacked up?

[/quote']

Cheers buddy, i will get some new ones fitted and if it comes up again l will have to try and explain that, that is how they are meant to be and hope for the best :)

Thanks for the replies everyone l didnt realise this was such a common thing with golf MOT testing

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i'm having similar issues...I've replaced the springs on the shocks and then gone to refit everything. When the top mounts are done up, with everything in place and no load on the strut, you can pull it down and away from the strut tower.

Am i right in saying the load of the car would stop this from been a problem? Just the way i see it, there is nothing holding the top of the strut to the car.

• 1 year later...

I have had exactly this with my recent MOT, They tester is a new lad who has taken over from the old guy I have been going to for years. I renewed the strut mounts and bearings last year, everything is super tight, its only done a couple of G's on the clock. Just wasted a day taking it all apart to find nowt wrong, and just read the above.