Remember though this kind of performance is equivalent to a rwd car doing a 12 sec quarter mile. For an s/c vr6 it's not so much about the launch but more about what it does when it's moving. Quarter mile figures don't show this or the real world performance.

Remember though this kind of performance is equivalent to a rwd car doing a 12 sec quarter mile. For an s/c vr6 it's not so much about the launch but more about what it does when it's moving. Quarter mile figures don't show this or the real world performance.

That just about sums it up really. Once you get them rolling the rev counter flies upto the redline in every gear and you're doing 3 figure speeds extremely quickly! (On a private stretch of road you understand ;) )

Mina recorded a 14.3 in my (his) car at GTi Inter 2003.

Think it was running just under 300bhp at the time although I think he said the surface was pretty crappy. (Correct me if I'm wrong mate).

Sub 14 in a front drive is a really quick time - especially on road tyres.

Autocar did 15.2 in a Civic R not 14.2.

A second at over 100mph terminal speed would mean a 50 yard gap, 10 or 12 car lengths so I'd be happy taking on a Honda hatch! ;)

It's mostly about power to weight ratio and as Minty says, traction (or lack of it!)

The Civic only has 164bhp per tonne - about the same as a chipped and filtered VR.

The 'charged VRs have upwards of 210. No contest.

I know that my beloved has virtually identical performance to a Subaru P1 between 30 and 120mph.

Both cars have similar power to weights and the Scoob does a 13.8 quarter mile. All down to traction off the line.

And being the equivalent of a rear drive 12 second quarter??!!

Nothing TVR or Lamborghini make can do that!

12 seconds isn't far off Mclaren F1 pace!

I've heard that rear drive is worth between 0.5 and 1.0 second over front drive in an equally powered car for the quarter.

Be interesting to see what happens at Santa Pod on the 24th.

hgmmmm alot of the sigs on the civic site have 14.?? second 1/4 mile times so i think somethin aint right

1 very interesting thing i found was a roadtest with a vr and escos both standard the cossie was quicker to 30 mph obviously due to 4wd BUT from 30 to any speed the vr equalled or BEAT the cossie

I've done quite a few runs at the pod in mine, although its not charged, but has a shrick, but no chip so being held back as knock sensors holding power back.

Best time, 14.3 (no leather, only drivers seat!)

Best time, 14.6 (complete with ICE and interior!)

Think this proves that its all down to traction and launch with a front wheel drive car, as Mintys car is far quicker than mine on the open road!

Eat this - lots of talk on the Civic website (like all websites) but there's a thread where the general concensus seems to be that 15 secs is about the standard car's time.

Just had a quick play in mine (never believe I've only had my licence back for 18 hours!) and did 0-100mph in 14 dead with the quarter in 14.4 measured on an AC22 performance meter (supposedly accurate to within 0.2 secs).

Had a bit of wheelspin and noncy 2nd to 3rd gear change so a sub 14 might just be possible with someone who could drive at the wheel and grippy surface!

six appeal - great times for a n/a motor. Fancy having a go in mine? ;)

[ Edited Tue Apr 05 2005, 08:47PM ]

lol

Times don't really mean a thing when equalled to the real time on road performance of a car.

Different cars perform at diffrent levels throughout the rev range.

My friends old 200bhp Ibiza Cupra would lay down 14.4, 14.5 all day long at the pod, where as i could only do a 15.1 in my old Highline, but on the open road and after 70mph the big VR would real him in easy. Horses for courses really......and we all know that the VR is not really a sprint car.

Nice times though Si ;)

Yep, it has. Although I haven't used it in anger yet.

It's got the launch control option as well.

I think I'm right in saying that Mina used it on his Inters runs and got 5.8 to sixty.

I'm still too scared to have a go at a full bore launch after destroying the cv joints on my 'charged Corrado last year!

I've done a few granny starts and got 6.2 or 6.3 so I would presume the traction and launch control give that extra half second off the line.

Really notice the difference in the wet though. I almost can't pull out of the junction at work in the rain with it turned off.

Great for burnouts - crap for getting out of the way of oncoming trucks!