cold starting issue -( still unsolved )

for a few years now when i go to start the vr from cold it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds before it fires into life .

however when hot it starts instantly as soon as you turn the key

anyone able to help here?

i was thinking possible fuel pressure problem but not sure . ( its had new fuel filter recently )

its an automatic golf vr6 94

Could very well be an initial fuel pressure problem. There is a check valve on the fuel pump that can fail and allow fuel to bleed back down the lines into the tank. It shouldn't be a problem really, it just puts a bit more strain on your starter motor. If you replace the fuel pump then it'll start like it should do.

I have a fuel pump in my garage if you can't source one. Now someone help me with my problem! haha

hope this helps

Sounds like coolant temp sensor which are very common problem.

Think its the blue or green sensor on the thermostat housing.

They sart to read the wrong temperture and dont allow enough fuel when cold.

i have read about this , the coolant temperature guage on dash seems to read ok but could it still be incorrect ?

if so i may start with this sensor, do i have to buy if from vw dealer or can i buy it online from somewhere like vwspares.co.uk?

right, fitted new blue temp sensor along with flushing the cooling system and refilling with new coolant ( blue type ) and water.

runs alot smoother and slightly quicker to start but will need to try again in the morning to be certain.

however the coolant temperature creeped up to just under 100 degrees ( needle going past verticle ) when idling after a good run.

anything to worry about ?

I used to live in Guernsey n got all my parts for my old Volkswagens from a garage around the back of Blind O'Rileys but can't remember the company's name for the life of me, they we're just off Collins road before that but did a lot of work on my old mk2 golf n were always good for parts too.

right i understand now will have to buy the vw G12 coolant and completely flush the system of the blue stuff before putting G12 in.

what mix of coolant to water is it ?

yeh i have used euromarque before and they are decent just slightly expensive , i do all work on the vr myself though as i enjoy it and keeps costs down.

today i sorted out the coolant by flushing through the system and changing it for longlife coolant ( 5year stuff ) . The mix is 4litres of coolant and rest distilled water.

Whilst running is silky smooth cold starting still takes a noticeable amount of time.

what should i try next?