Mk4 r32 or mk5 gti

Right my insurance has dropped massively (YAY) and can now afford to get something newer and faster. Question is mk4 r32, or mk5 gti. Mk5 r32 are far to high on tax especially as people are holding on to the cheaper tax bracket ones.

But I took a mk5 r32 for a spin seeing as there's not much difference in performance compared to the mk4 r32. And I was smiling like a cheshire cat. I'm waiting for the call to say the mk5 gti is ready for a drive to compare. What a turbo feels like to v6.

I can't stretch to mk5 r32 cost or mk5 ed30 so whats peoples thoughts?

Out of any R32 and MK5 GTI, I'd have the MK5 GTI every day.

The R32 uses ALOT more fuel than the GTI ever will.

Put a good full exhaust and air filter on the GTI, We can get 270hp out of it, while still maintaining good fuel economy. The GTI is VERY easy to upgrade too, put a K04 turbo on it and remap it again and see well over 300hp, with the R32, you are stuck unless you have deep pockets.

The MK5 will hold its money where as the R32's are losing money fast. ie no one wants them, and its only going to continue.

For those that say the R32 handles better, its simply not true, the ONLY thing better about the R32 is that it is 4wd. The GTI has independent rear suspension and holds the road just as well as the 4wd.

If you want to be involved with a car because of the noise it makes - Buy a computer game,,,,

I've been involved with the VR6 engine since it left the factory and I love the engines, but times move on people. If you want a 1000hp monster then go with the 6 cylinder if you want reliability and good easy power then go with the newer generation of technology that doesn't lose as much money.

The above is just my opinion built from years of experience.

Gotta agree with what matt says really. And I own a mk4 R32 lol

Tho i wouldn't swap mine at all TBH.

The mk5 GTI is a very able car indeed and very tuneable quite cheaply compared to the R.

But it's your cash so get what you prefer.

I'd let you try mine but it would ruin buying either lol

Agree with Matt also to be fair but it's hard to get away from the old VR6 engine when you're passionate about them! My friend has one of said 270hp mk5 GTI's running United Motorsport software....he spent £1000ish on exhaust, air filter and UM software and increased his HP from 200 to 270...to do this on an R32 you'd probablty be around £5k lol. Says it all really I suppose!

Well i think it's a little more basic than that... It wont be long before we just can't afford to run anything other than the new 1.0Litre turbos... So why not have the car your heart wants before you have to have 2/3/4 cylinder models..

Also from my reading people are getting around the same mpg in Gti or R32 forms... I know I have an overall average of 31.2mpg since the day I bought it. (at the moment) I have read that the Gti struggles to stay in 30s as well.

I think it comes down to your personal passion today and the right car/specification you find in either model...

Hope it helps a little

I absolutely love the look of the r32 either mk4 or 5. But there 53/03 where as the gtis I'm looking at are around 07s.

It's not just the mpg I'm worried about as I don't drive to work everyday, but like has already been said everyone is going for smaller engines cars or deisel due to petrol prices and tax prices. £470 a year for a mk5 r32 or a Mazda 3 mps.

Also the insurance is about £200 cheaper on a gti than a r32 and will probably end up being worth more. Had a bit of good news and looks like I may be moving up in the company so looks like an edition 30 may be an option. Thanks for all the comment guys. I'll still stick around here see what's going on ;)