Evap and PCV Valves on a VRT

Hi,

I'm currently (albeit slowly) working through my VRT conversion. I have a couple of questions for you FI guys...

1. What do I do with the PCV Valve? Do I keep it and reroute it back to the intake pipe after the MAF as normal, remove it and run a pipe back into the intake, run an open ended pipe or use a catch can?

2. Same with the Evap Solenoid. Can I delete this or do I need to keep it somehow?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers in advance,

Brad.

I'd run the PCV to the intake via a catch can if you care about the environment, or just dump it to atmosphere if you don't :_)

For the Evap solenoid, the ECU is expecting that to be there, so either dummy load the plug or fit a non return valve on it so that boost doesn't end up pressurising the fuel tank.

Cheers chaps. That's just what I needed to know.

Kev, I presume dumping the crankcase gases would mean an MOT fail? Was just hoping to save a bit of space in the bay if poss but it's worth doing a job right the first time in my opinion so I'll go with the catch can.

Probably go with the check valve for the evap. Would something like this do the trick?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Check-Valve-8mm-/330534168086?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_BoatEquipment_Accessories_SM&hash=item4cf55f2616

Also, where abouts in relation to the Evap solenoid would you install this? I assume it would have to go between the intake manifold and the Evap so as to only allow flow back into the engine when off boost. Is that right?

Mine passed 5 MOTs with the crank case dump tube hanging down by the steering rack :-) The only downside is the air under the car will carry oil droplets to the back of the car, which causes spotting on the rear bumper.

The check valve needs to go on the existing throttle body supply line, face it so that the engine can suck through the valve, but not blow back through it, if that makes sense!

Cheers Kev, makes sense. How did you route that around to your throttle body when you ran the sri? I'm thinking around the bulkhead and under the coilpack would be best so as to avoid the serp belt?

As for the PCV, I might end up leaving that until last. I can't quite believe how little room there is to play with in the VR bay once that Turbo goes in. Hopefully I'll have enough room left for a catch can.

• 2 weeks later...

You only need the solenoid plugged in electrically - mine is stowed away next to the fusebox in bubblewrap (to quieten the annoying ticking!) and the LTFTs work properly. I just extended the wire to reach the fusebox because the relevant wires from the ECU had been cut by previous owner. If your wires are still in the engine bay then leave the solenoid in there and you can still remove all the pipes etc. as you see fit.