Has anyone removed the ABS system from their MK3? As some of you may know, mine is faulty and giving me different error codes each time I read them. I was thinking today, that as it's faulty anyway and every car I've had until now has either not had ABS to begin with or had it removed by previous owners, I may as well see about getting rid of it for good.

So, anyone done it? If so, how?

:D

I would imagine you will need the brake servo and parts from a lesser model mk3 and make up new brae lines to fit to it then have the abs light unitremoved and swapped for one with just the airbag. You might want to ask your insurance about the extra money if any it wwill cost for this mod before doing it.

Oh yes, I'd check with the insurance company before doing it :) The ABS light won't be a problem as I have an "airbag only" one that was in the car when I bought it.

I'm interested to see if it's more cost effective to bin the ABS system, or repair it to be honest.

You need new master cylinder, with two outlets

Possibly new servo depending on what you m/c is out of.

3/8 brake line.

3/8 male brake fittings

Pipe flaring kit

Pipe cutter

2 brass T pieces

Then you can remove the whole abs pump and loom and ecu.

That's how to get rid completely.

Your rear axle should have one of those already :) you basically want it set up like a mk2 etc but with larger brakes etc...

As far as I can tell OBD2 cars don't have them' date=' the ABS module itself does the proportioning.

What about mot?abs should n working or its a fail?

Never had a problem in the past, as I said, I've had quite a few cars now that have had the ABS removed completely. Although, you've reminded me that I may have read something about this coming into to force at some point.

EDIT - Further investigation suggests that this WILL fail the MOT. From what I can gather all VR6's came from the factory with ABS fitted, so it MUST be present for the MOT. If it had been a case where ABS was just an option, removing it would be fine. Looks like I'm going to have to fix it then lol.

Yep, in OBD2 cars the brake "bias" was controlled by the ABS module. The bracket should still be there though I think. Not that it really matters as I've had it confirmed that removing the ABS will result in a failed MOT :(

EDIT - It appears my previously mentioned confirmation isn't quite as confirmed as it appeared to be lol. I'll update when I have something concrete.

rules have changed alot this year though where it states against alot of things that if the car was factory fitted with certain items (ABS, Airbag, CAT, etc.) it has to have them on the car and working for it to pass its MOT unless proof can be provided that the car is used for racing/rallying!

having said that i am deleting mine, but i have a "friendly" MOT station

rules have changed alot this year though where it states against alot of things that if the car was factory fitted with certain items (ABS, Airbag, CAT, etc.) it has to have them on the car and working for it to pass its MOT unless proof can be provided that the car is used for racing/rallying!

having said that i am deleting mine, but i have a "friendly" MOT station