VR6 TURBO OWNER LOCAL TO BROMLEY?? :)

a few things haha

its sitting on my drive looking a mess and i dont know where to start really.... theres loads of cosmetic stuff i wanna do like changing the way the intercooler pipes go and tidying the engine bay and front bumper doesnt fit perfect, still dont know how the vacuum pipes go on everything (lots of people syaing different things) etc etc really annoying me, i just want the thing done haha

i bought a walboro 255 pump not long ago and found out its got to be relayed and wired up... and dont know where to put that either....

the fueling isnt right i think' date=' thats why i bought the walboro fuel pump hoping to sort it, when you start to accelerate the car stutters (as if your going to stall it at low speed)

[/quote']

also the turbo is the other way around to others ive seen, so the air filter comes out to the right of the engine which i hate!!

yes exactly mate! :) very distressing as i cant wait to drive it! it was a perfectly running vr turbo in another golf, i just bought all the running gear to put into my golf, engine, gearbox, ecu, intercooler, steering rack, subframe... literally everything for it to run as it did in the other golf!

im sure yours is running better than mine haha :)

in bits in the garage awaiting to be rebuilt lol .... mine is not a normal set i got an ally tank in the back with two fuel pumps, can you not mount the pump next to the fuel filter and run it between the tank and fuel filter ???? and run the wires down to it ???

The trick is to not let these little niggling issues get you down, we all have them, especially with VRT's. you just have to tackle each issue as it comes! for the turbo you can just turn it 180 degress on the manifold? and as tony said you could mount it where the old pump is?

in bits in the garage awaiting to be rebuilt lol .... mine is not a normal set i got an ally tank in the back with two fuel pumps' date=' can you not mount the pump next to the fuel filter and run it between the tank and fuel filter ???? and run the wires down to it ???

[/quote']

oh really, i take it your gonna be running some serious hp? :P

i was thinking that yeh, but need to make a mount/bracket to mount the filter and pump. i did get a webpage showing me how to do it, but honestly it looks really hard :S have you got the same pump?

The trick is to not let these little niggling issues get you down' date=' we all have them, especially with VRT's. you just have to tackle each issue as it comes! for the turbo you can just turn it 180 degress on the manifold? and as tony said you could mount it where the old pump is?

[/quote']

Its hard not to! :) if i had a garage i would be in it all the time with my beloved vr sorting it out but its on a gravel drive so stressful to work on. if i turned the turbo then i would have to change the exhaust elbow, and there tricky to do so ive heard?

im in bromley' date=' regarding thes car stuttering etc.... have you had it on vag com to see whats wrong with it? could be sensor, coil pack etc......

[/quote']

are ya, would you by any chance have a mk2 vr? :)

ive plugged into it but no trouble codes and cant see anything out of the ordinary, i did change coil packs and leads, but still same :'(

thats fine' date=' picks speak a thousand words , and with a pick and a good description of the fault , those of us that had turbo's can probaly tell you what it i s.

[/quote']

very true jim :)

im uploading them with this thread, hopefully works!

P1010305.jpg

P1010306.jpg

P1010307.jpg

P1010308.jpg

P1010309.jpg

P1010310.jpg

P1010311.jpg

P1010312.jpg

P1010313.jpg

P1010314.jpg

i also cant remember what this was for.... had a major head injury in the gym couple months ago so havent got the best of memory now!

theres a pic of the purple wire coming from the fuel rail which i dont know where it connects, looks like its just been cut :S theres also a plug by the oil cap which i dont know where that goes, nothing for it to connect. theres a pic of the walboro pump.

and theres pics of the "nipples" which need a hose on em :)

3rd picture: fuel pressure reg' date=' needs a manifold pressure source onto the small silver nipple. At idle you should see 3 or 4 bar, depending on ecu.

[/quote']

elo paul, ok thats excellent! i was thinking as well, when the engine was running properly it was set to 4 bar on the regulator. so can i just buy a 4 bar fuel pressure reg which replaces the standard reg? cos that has a vacuum pipe coming of the reg going just above into the side of the inlet manifold.... :)

im in bromley' date=' regarding thes car stuttering etc.... have you had it on vag com to see whats wrong with it? could be sensor, coil pack etc......

[/quote']

are ya, would you by any chance have a mk2 vr? :)

ive plugged into it but no trouble codes and cant see anything out of the ordinary, i did change coil packs and leads, but still same :'(

not mk2 but mk3 mate

• 2 weeks later...

little update for everyone

ive got rid of the uprated gauge type fuel pressure reg which was shown in previous picture (blue thing) ive now fitted a Bosch 4 bar pressure reg in place of the standard one, done this because the fuel reg was running 4 bar all the time and also was told it run 4 (or60psi) by the guy who had it before so i thought to save a bit of hassle ill just get rid of it and fit a new one.

checked plugs, there quite sooted up so i cleaned them up and done 2 oil changes to flucsh the oil because it stunk of petrol.

i then put half a tank of shell v power in and some injector cleaner.

took it round the block and f*** me did it fly!!! :P

i put my foot down and power boosted at 3000 rpm, the noise was unbelievable!!! :D

anyway gave it a couple more runs and it started to run lumpy again and didnt boost till bout 5500 rpm. i think it started to soot up again with the overfueling.

but i plugged into it using Diagnose software, this gave me 2 fault codes which i looked up on autodata.

17952 - Throttle actuation Potetiometer, Signal too high (17952 P1544)

and

16515 - O2 sensor circ., Bank 1 Sensor 1 - Low voltage (16515 P0131)

If any1 has ever had these codes then i did look em up and cause of problem for first trouble code can be: wiring short to positive or throttle motor position sensor (this is what it said on autodata)

and causes for the second trouble code could be: exhaust leak, wiring short to earth, H02S or ECM (again this is what it said on autodata)

Also on the Live data it read on throttle postion: 4

Now i dont think thats right but ive not had much experience with diagnosing this sort of thing...

So i changed the throttle body, and now reads " 3>' " on live data. it seems to be running okish but the coolant sensor wasn't reading 100%. at 90 degrees on the gauge it said 76 degrees on the live data so i need to change that definately.

so im thinking coolant sensor, change spark plugs, oil, fuel filter and oil filter then have a look if its ok?

any1 know what a vr6 should read on live data for throttle position?

i hope this is helpful to anyone who has same trouble as me :)