Looks like your thermostat housing in leaking.See in the picture, just above where you put the penny, there's that plastic housing with all the water pipes goin to it, and those sensors going to it. Have a feel.underneath there, or get a mirror underneath with a light ans have a good look about.

just had look couldnt help my self just above the penny theres a 10mm nut underneath / behiind that i can feel a rubber sealent seems some one may have taken it off before and just used some sort of silicone to seal it is that rite or should there be a seal...............also how easy to remove and either re-seal or put a new proper seal in??

I've just had this problem in the last couple of weeks and took the next couple of weeks trying to sort it!

1st thing i would recommend, just from my experience doing it, is to get everything new - especially the o-rings for the 3 sensors, the 2 "crack" pipe rings - that runs from the thermostat housing to the water pump and especially that gasket that connects to the block, my GSF didn't do it so had to go VW on a number of trips :-(

I searched quite a few threads on here and some helpful guys with advice such as 'russj249' got me through it

to be safe mate just get a new thermostat housing from E bay as the housings are know to crack, they should come with all new seals, if you don`t fancy having a go your self I can do it for you for a small fee ..... also the rocker cover seal ...

ok thanks tony ill have a look on ebay also a new crack pipe .......i ll prob have look and see if i think im capable .....managed to do the balljoint pretty easy thanks to yours and lukeys advice .........if i get into any trouble ill def use you mate...........slightly worried about travelling 90 miles to santapod at weekend and 90 back but its been like it for a year now and hasnt caused any prob just needs topping up sometimes