• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried to draw a diagram for the relocation of the battery to the boot... I think the positive side of the battery is ok but not sure about the negative side...

Where does the negative wire from the battery to the back of the fuse / relay board attach, route etc...

IMG_1077.jpg

Help would be appreciated

**also posted in technical/ice/electrical **

Last night was spent removing more bits from the engine:

Fuel Rail. Injectors, lower intake manifold, Alternator, Alt and Power Steering bracket, Cam cover.

Removed so I can look at getting them polished or plated... Local company to me in Wolves have said bring them down and they will price it up...

But I thought I'd have a go and see how hard it can really be!!

So armed with 60,120,180,240,320 & 400 grit sandpaper, a sanding block and some WD40 I got to work...

The start:

IMG_1083.jpg

From another angle:

IMG_1084.jpg

And then I started rubbing and then I rubbed some more and carried on for two hours with 60 grit and got this!!

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

So I'm off to buy some power tools (Hand Sander) and I have already ordered a polishing kit from these people - http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/

After speaking with Pete (VR6Pete) I am also on the hunt for some abrasive flap discs to get the metal down to a workable state (Cheers Pete)

How do people get the hard to reach stuff on brackets, alternators etc?

Help is again appreciated

Right .... Power tool purchased, flap wheel in drill and after a bit of work I had this... (After 80 grit)

IMG_1096.jpg

I was quite happy with it and it looked good after the 80 grit but something was niggling me about the hidden bits and the bits that usually get painted...

There were cast marks, pitted parts and generally poor looking bits so I decided to go balls deep!!... So I now have this small part but I think it looks good.... Just six more to go and the sides, underside, middle etc etc etc :S

from this ( but other side of the manifold)

IMG_1097.jpg

to this.... :)

IMG_1099.jpg

Back in the garage after dinner to carry on

cheers

I bought a proper metal polishing kit off eBay a few years ago and polished the frame on my motor bike and it came out like a mirror. It took me about 4hrs per side to do but it was worth it. I'm in 2 minds what to do with my inlet manifold, either polish it or paint it

A bit of progress on the strip down front...

Cue loads of pics ;) (For my own reference but may also be handy for anybody looking for info on bits and pieces on the golf vr6)

Removed the O/S/R wheel arch trim and found this :o

IMG_1114.jpg

Its going to need a whole load of fabrication on the inner arch and then a replacement panel to cover the arch and petrol flap innards

Also removed the front wings to continue the hunt for the dreaded rust and YES, I definitely found it... Where the wing meets the sill...

null-18.jpg

null-19.jpg

null-20.jpg

And a pic of the N/S Sill and again .... more rust!

null-21.jpg

And an overview of the N/S inner arch...

null-22.jpg

N/S/F Brake Wear Indicator...

IMG_1125-1.jpg

And the N/S/F ABS Sensor wires and connector..

IMG_1126.jpg

And a shot of the N/S Sill from underneath .. surprisingly solid

IMG_1129.jpg

But I'm probably going to change it anyway to check on inner metal

Removed the O/S/F wing and found it to be a aftermarket part (Points to either historical rust issue or a bump)

IMG_1132-1.jpg

But again RUST where the wing meets the Sill

IMG_1133.jpg

Overview of the O/S/F Inner arch

IMG_1135.jpg

O/S/F Brake wear indicator

IMG_1137.jpg

and the O/S/F ABS Sensor wires and connector

IMG_1138.jpg

And then this..... Holy rusty holes Batman!!

IMG_1139.jpg

IMG_1140.jpg

Messy

IMG_1144.jpg

And for good measure some holes on the top of the sill in the door shut

IMG_1146.jpg

Its got to get worse before it gets better!!

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Removed the rubbers from the roof gutter/screen surround and found a bit of surface rust on the N/S Rear

IMG_1151.jpg

And the O/S Rear

IMG_1154.jpg

And now safely tucked up until tomorrow

IMG_1155.jpg

Cheers for looking and apologies for all the damn images!! (p)

I think that arch trim was holding that part of the car together :-D good luck with getting it all sorted

Cheers Chaz..

I'm scared to breathe by it just in case another hole appears!!

Onwards and upwards

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...